Quixotes: A historical piece of Auburn

It's been 10 years since college friends Jon Hyink and Chris Godbold opened the Auburn hotspot, Quixotes Bar and Grill. Inspired by the famous Spanish novel, “Don Quixote,” the bar continues to be a place students often go to have a good time.

Hyink and Godbold both came to Auburn from out of state.

“We were no strangers to the downtown scene and enjoyed what it had to offer while we were undergrads," Hyink said. “Every time we were out with friends, we always mentioned that there was something missing. Right before we graduated, we started throwing around the idea to start our own business.”

Hyink and Godbold both knew the economy wasn’t good at the time, but they figured given their young age, it was as good a time as any to take a risk and go into the business for themselves.

The building Quixotes has been housed in used to be a different bar named Copper Creek. When the owner of Copper Creek decided to sell the bar, the guys took advantage of the opportunity and decided to make their dreams come true.

“The Quixotes location has been several different bars since the 1980s," Godbold said. "Waldo Peppers, Fink’s, Tigris and Copper Creek Tavern. We have been fortunate to make Quixotes the establishment that has lasted longer than the others.”

Choosing the name for Quixotes was simple, according to Hyink.

“When we were getting ready to open and name the bar, we realized that all the current bars' names started with the letter B," Hyink said, "There was Buffalos, Bodega, Bourbon Street and Blue Room. We needed something catchy, so Chris and I, along with our two managers, came up with as many ideas as possible and slowly whittled them down till we all agreed that Quixotes was the best option."

One of the reasons Quixotes has been so popular is mostly credited to its drink specials. On Wednesday nights, the bar offers $3 32-ounce wells from 5-9 p.m.

“When we opened Quixotes, we wanted to make an impact and get our name out there as a place for having great specials," Godbold said. “And so, the 32-ounce well was born.”

Both Hyink and Godbold agreed that as far as their marketing and idea generation for their specials goes, both guys value the input of their customers and employees and their ideas on how Quixotes can continue to provide a multitude of great specials for their customers.

In 2008, Quixote's started to serve food to its customers.

“My favorite thing about Quixote's is its ability to combine good drink prices with great food,” said William Snow, accounting student. “There really isn’t any other bar in Auburn that does that. Quixote’s food is actually very good and burger night has become a Thursday night tradition lately.”

As far as future plans for Quixotes goes, both Godbold and Hyink agreed as long as customers are coming in the door, Quixotes will always be around.

“You can expect us to continue to provide the same great experience from our specials, bands and DJ’s, our good food, to our monthly theme parties,” Hyink said. “We are excited for 2016 and cannot wait to share the events that we have planned with our customers. We are excited to bring great times for our customers as we need to maintain our #1 Ranking as College Ranker’s Best College Bar." 

Share and discuss “Quixotes: A historical piece of Auburn” on social media.