Auburn announces spring practice schedule

Auburn officially announced its spring practice schedule for football Thursday, and the Tigers will kick things off on March 1. 

Practices, which are not open to the public, will be held March 1, 3, 5, 8 and 10 before the players get March 12-20 off for Spring Break. The Tigers will get back to the field on March 22, and they'll practice on March 24, 26, 29, 31, April 1, 5 and 7 before A-Day on April 9. Auburn will hold a final spring practice on April 11 following the spring scrimmage.  

Unlike last year, there will be a handful of questions up in the air during the spring. Jeremy Johnson, who was the heir apparent at quarterback this time last year, will be in a heated battle for the starting spot with Sean White and newcomer John Franklin III. 

The defense will be undergoing its third defensive coordinator in three years, as Kevin Steele will get his first chance to imprint his defensive philosophy on the Tigers.

The defensive line returns a large portion of its production, but the linebackers will be searching for a second starter next to Tre' Williams. T.J. Neal, the grad transfer from Illinois, will get a shot to start.

Add in the five new members of the coaching staff — including Steele — and coach Gus Malzahn will have plenty on his hands as the Tigers look to rebound after a disappointing 2015 season.

Share and discuss “Auburn announces spring practice schedule” on social media.