Around the SEC: Weekend in Review

The SEC went 3-7 against the Big 12 on Saturday, but overall it wasn’t a complete disappointment. LSU pushed No. 1 Oklahoma to the brink, Florida took a big step toward a tournament bid and the Aggies took care of business against No. 14 Iowa State on their home floor.

We at The Auburn Plainsman don’t believe in moral victories, but it’s hard to hate on the conference’s overall effort this past weekend — except for Vanderbilt. Not sure what they had for their pregame meal.

Gator Bait: Florida sinks No. 9 West Virginia

Final: Florida 88, No. 9 West Virginia 71

FLA: Dorian Finney-Smith 24 pts, 5 reb, 3 ast,

West Virginia waltzed into The Swamp on Saturday like it owned the place, and showed it by circling up on Florida’s side of the court before tipoff. The ballsy move led to a heated exchange of trash talk between the two teams. However, only one team was able to back it up once the game started. West Virginia entered Saturday’s game winless all-time in Gainesville, and after the game’s first 10 minutes, it was clear that wouldn’t change.

Florida was dialed in from behind the arc, knocking down 12 3-pointers in an impressive upset victory over the country’s ninth-ranked team. The Gators had a 15-point advantage at the break, and led by as many as 20 points in the second half in a game that they never trailed. Dorian Finney-Smith was the X-factor in this one, scoring 24 points on 7-of-12 shooting (5-of-7 from deep).

“Press Virginia” still managed to turn the Gators over 14 times (which is right around their season average), but the Gators were too hot from the field, shooting 53 percent for the game. It all added up to Florida’s first win over a top-10 team since 2010. Sitting at 14-7 on the year, this win over the Mountaineers will certainly help their tournament odds in March.

They’re for real: Billy Kennedy gets 300th career win against Cyclones

Final: Texas A&M 72, No. 14 Iowa State 62

A&M: Danuel House 20 pts, 2 reb, 2 ast

Heading into the season, we knew Texas A&M would be improved from last year, but I’m not sure how many people projected it to be in contention for a top-2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

The Aggies showed the country yet again why they’re the team to beat in the SEC, knocking off an Iowa State team that’s beaten both Kansas and Oklahoma this season. Winners of nine of their last 10 (18-3 overall), Texas A&M has dominated Big 12 competition this year with wins over Baylor and Kansas State as well. The Aggies will still have to answer to Kentucky and South Carolina before season's end, but as of now, the road to the SEC Championship will go through College Station.

Oh, so close: Sooners steal one in Baton Rouge, UK falls short against KU in OT

Final: No.1 Oklahoma 77, LSU 75 | No. 4 Kansas 90, No. 20 Kentucky 84

OU: Buddy Hield 32 pts, 7 reb, 1 ast | KU: Wayne Selden Jr. 33 pts, 3 reb, 2 stl

The battle between two of college basketball’s top prospects went exactly how we though it would.

Oklahoma’s Buddy Hield put on a shooting clinic, hitting seven of his eight 3-pointers in the second half alone to will his team back from a 14-point deficit. 

He finished with 32, and his All-American counterpart Ben Simmons had a great all-around game with 14 points, nine rebounds, five assists and two steals. In the end, it was senior guard Isaiah Cousins who put the game on ice, knocking down one of the biggest shots of his career from the left elbow to give the Sooners the lead for good with six seconds to play.

LSU led for most of the game, but losing track of one of the country’s best scorers late ultimately cost them the upset. Not to mention Simmons’ lack of touches — the freshman had zero points in the game’s final 10 minutes.

Meanwhile in Lawrence, Tyler Ulis (26 points) and Jamal Murray (15 points) gave the Jayhawks all they could handle, but the night belonged to Wayne Selden Jr., who dropped a career-high 33 points to fend off the upset-minded Wildcats. 

Kansas has now won 35 straight in Phog Allen. Despite the loss, Kentucky is showing improvement every week, and is starting to look more and more like the team that entered the season ranked in the top 5.

Share and discuss “Around the SEC: Weekend in Review” on social media.