Pokémon Go takes Auburn

The recent success of the Pokémon Go app is evident in the fact it could surpass social media behemoth Twitter in terms of daily active users, according to Forbes magazine. It is also the number one free app on the Apple App Store.

If you walk across Samford Lawn, through downtown or along the walking track at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Arts, you will inevitably see dozens of Auburn students playing the game day and night.

We asked students about their experiences and opinions on the application.

Michael Halvorson is a senior and a double major in aerospace and mechanical engineering.

Q. When did you download it?

I downloaded it two days after it came out. I had a test on Friday, and I knew I wouldn’t get much studying done if I had it.

Q. How often do you go out to play?

Two or three nights a week. It’s been less lately.

Q. Would you say you are getting out of the house more because of this app?

Absolutely. This game has health benefits — physical and mental. There’s a dopamine release when people catch these Pokémon. When you set a goal and complete it, the goal being Pokémon, people are going to get really happy when they catch them. 

Q. How many of your friends are playing?

Ninety percent.

Q. Have you been to parts of town that you haven’t been to because of the app?

Yes. I’ve been to parts that I have never been to before because of Pokémon. We went to the arboretum at midnight. And the art museum. I’ve been there before but never at night.

Q. Where are your favorite spots to go?

You get eggs from a lot of the Pokéstops, and the museum if perfect for walking around while I have eggs in the incubator.

Q. Have you met new people because of this app?

Yes. I made a GroupMe account that got over 150 people to join, but I had to shut it down because it got out of hand.

Q. What do you want to see changed?

Since the app is brand new, it hasn’t had any substantial beta testing. We don’t have battling between players, trading, and other essential Pokémon themes from the games and movies that are still missing.

There’s a lot of criticism right now, but it’s only been a little over a week since it’s been out.

Q. Why do you think everybody likes this game so much?

I think because of nostalgia. The majority of people using it grew up with Pokémon and used smartphones. When you combine the excitement, nostalgia and the physical and mental health benefits. I don’t think it’s going to diminish anytime soon.

Kaylee McCormack is a junior majoring in chemical engineering.

Q. When did you download the app?

July 8, 2016

Q. How often would you say you play this?

I usually play on the way to work and on the way back. And on the weekends I play with friends.

Q. Would you say you go out walking more because of this app?

I certainly walk out with my friends more because of the app.

Q. How many of your friends are playing right now?

About 90 percent are playing. A few of them are resistant to download it.

Q. Have you met any new people because of the app?

I haven’t had any new friendships because of it, but I have seen people on campus helping each other out with the game.

Q. Have you ever been to parts of town that you never would have to because of the app?

I walked around downtown Opelika with some friends after a distillery tour.

Q. Any favorite spots to go to?

On campus in general because there’s no cars around. There’s lots of Pokéstops, Pokémon and students playing.

Q. What’s the one thing you want to see changed in the app?

It would be great if it wouldn’t crash. Maybe switch up the common Pokémon so there’s less rattata.

Q. Where is the weirdest place you went to go catch a Pokémon?

I guess just walking around the trailer park that I live at to find Pokémon.

Jordan Johnson is a junior in industrial engineering.

Q. When did you download it?

July 8, 2016

Q. How often are you playing?

I slacked off this past weekend. But that first week, I was playing about two hours a day. On the weekends I was playing almost 6 hours a day. I would play it on my walk to and from school. Since TigerTransit has less buses in the loop, I’m just walking to and from class all the time.

I’d say about 95 percent. When I went to lab the first day after it launched, I heard everybody talking about it. And then my friends told me I should download it.

Q. Have you ever been to any parts of town you never visited because of this app?

Not yet, but I’m going to parts of town I’ve only been to once or twice more often now, like the museum. The only time I went there was for pictures for formal and to get on the transit bus to tour Auburn before my freshman year.

Probably a little more direct interaction between players. Right now it’s awesome but there are points where it gets a little repetitive. I’d like to see stuff where it gets more skill based.

Q. Where’s the weirdest place you’ve gone to catch Pokémon?

The post office and the fire station.

Share and discuss “Pokémon Go takes Auburn” on social media.