City Council passes ordinance allowing Uber

The Auburn City Council passed an ordinance amendment that will allow Uber and other ridesharing companies to return to the city at its Tuesday, August 2 meeting.

SGA President Jesse Westerhouse, who campaigned on a heavily Uber-based platform, spoke to the council. Uber's return is "widely supported" by the student body and will increase safety, Westerhouse said.

"As much as we don't like to think about it, there are a large number of students who drive while under the influence here in the city of Auburn," Westerhouse said.

Studies have shown that people are less likely to drive drunk when ridesharing services are available, Westerhouse said.

The Office of the President's Director of Public Affairs Brian Keeter said during the citizens' communications portion of the meeting that he was there to "convey the University's full support of the statements made by SGA President Jesse Westerhouse."

Todd Scholl, director of sales and marketing at the Hotel at Auburn University and Dixon Conference Center, said it's "a little embarrassing" to tell guests there is no Uber in Auburn.

"We have guests ask us about Uber and when we tell them we don't, they wonder if they're in a progressive city," Scholl said. "It's a little embarrassing. I just want to put that out there because it truly is an amenity that guests look for, right behind free Wi-Fi and hot water."

Not everyone at the meeting was in favor of Uber's return, however.

Jeff Steiger of KGM Taxi Services spoke candidly about the effects it would have on his business.

Taxi insurance is four times greater than personal car insurance, Steiger said.

"If you take away 50 percent of our business, how do we pay the bills? How do we cover the costs of our insurance? We'll be unable to pay our bills and taxis will go away."

Councilman Tommy Dawson, who voted against the ordinance along with Councilwoman Lynda Tremaine, voiced his concerns about safety, particularly when it comes to Auburn's "young ladies."

"I feel like there's a good chance for a predator to come to Auburn and do some harm to one of our young ladies," Dawson said. "In good conscience, I cannot support this ordinance the way it is written."

Councilman Ron Anders voted in favor of the ordinance, but said the council might need to revisit the subject if "the wrong kind of people are driving and putting our kids in danger."

This ordinance is consistent with legislation that was recently passed in Tuscaloosa. 

The city council "created a permanent home for Uber in Auburn," Uber Spokeswoman Evangeline George said in a statement.

"We look forward to bringing safe, affordable transportation options and flexible work opportunities to the community," George said. "Access to a reliable ride at the push of a button will help empower students, residents and visitors alike to make safe choices at the end of a night out." 

The council also approved:

- A development agreement for the Standard at Auburn LLC. 

- An ordinance that will allow developers to bring a Steinmart store to the Auburn Mall.

Share and discuss “City Council passes ordinance allowing Uber” on social media.