No. 11 Auburn Falls to No. 9 Kentucky

The No.11 Auburn gymnastics continued their SEC schedule at No. 9 Kentucky Friday night, falling to the Wildcats 197.100-195.800.

“We had some bright spots tonight and started and finished well,” head coach Jeff Graba said as the Tigers (0-3, 0-2 SEC) kicked things off on bars and tied a season-best score with a 49.125.

Freshman Gracie Day would set a career best in the event at 9.85, while sophomore Emma Engle would do the same and tie her season high at another 9.85. Kelsey Kopec, a redshirt senior, and sophomore Samantha Cerio continued the trend with a pair of season highs, scoring 9.825 and 9.85, respectively. Junior Abby Milliet finished the event off with a 9.8.

Closing out the meet on beam, Auburn picked up another season-high score with 48.95. Milliet took charge with a 9.875, setting a new season best. Cerio followed up with another season-high score, earning a 9.8. Redshirt Emma Slappey and freshman Katie Becker each earned a 9.775, with senior Kullen Hlawek and Engler adding on a duo of 9.725s.

While the Tigers had the second rotation on vault, Day led the way with a 9.825 as the young squad took a 48.8. Sophomore Telah Black and Becker would tally on 9.7 each with senior MJ Rott anchoring with a 9.8. Sophomore Taylor Krippner would follow with a 9.775.

A floor squad for the Tigers would total a 48.926, Cerio leading with a career best 9.85. Slappey took a team’s second-best with a 9.825, senior Lucia Scaglione tying a career high at 9.8. Hlawek and Rott would pile on a 9.7 and a 9.725 for the Tigers.

“We have to continue being patient because this is a young team with a lot of new routines,” says Graba. “Getting on the road is extremely important being in a tough environment like this. We’ll continue to get better as the season goes along and we have to be ready for next weekend.”

Auburn will continue its road trip with No. 3 Florida on Friday, Jan. 27 for an SEC Network broadcasted event. Following the Gators,

Auburn will attend the annual Elevate the Stage meet, taking on No.4 Alabama for a non-conference meet on Jan. 29.

Share and discuss “No. 11 Auburn Falls to No. 9 Kentucky” on social media.