Softball falls to No. 9 following USC series

Auburn softball fell two spots in this week’s National Fastpitch Coaches Association Poll, tumbling from the No. 7 spot to No. 9 in the nation.

The Tigers took two of three from unranked South Carolina this past weekend, winning games one and two both by a score of 2-0. Auburn was shut out on Sunday by the SEC bottom-feeding Gamecocks, who sit just in front of Georgia in second-to-last place in the conference. In avoiding the sweep, USC picked up just their fourth conference win of the year.

Auburn traveled to Colombia without freshman Brittany Maresette, sophomore Makayla Martin or senior Haley Fagan, after the trio was arrested Thursday morning and suspended indefinitely from the team. Junior Whitney Jordan assumed Fagan’s position at shortstop, while freshman Ashlee Swindle pitched the second game of the series on Saturday in place of Martin.

The ninth spot serves as Auburn’s lowest ranking of the season. The Tigers flirted near the top five for most of the early season, but have slowly dropped after struggling at home to take series from the likes of Ole Miss and Missouri. Auburn hosts unranked Mississippi State this weekend on the Plains in the second-to-last SEC series of the season. 

Share and discuss “Softball falls to No. 9 following USC series” on social media.