Reception to be held in celebration of Gogues' leadership

After 10 years of leadership at Auburn University, President Jay Gogue will be retiring. Auburn plans to honor Gogue and his wife on May 23 in the Auburn Arena.

The event is open to the public and will begin at 2 p.m. There will be an opportunity to leave a short message for the Gogue's at the event and for those are unable to attend, the University has set up a tribute website. A digital guest book is available online.

Gouge is Auburn's 18th president and returned with his wife in 2007 to lead the University. During Gogue's time at Auburn, he has developed and furthered many programs, encouraged research and improved the University's overall national standings.

Auburn completed 116 major construction projects under Gogue's leadership as well as the well-known reconstruction of Toomer's Corner. Annual giving from alumni and donors exceeded $200 million in 2015.

Study abroad programs and other student-oriented programs have grown throughout his 10 years and Auburn University Outreach expanded in 2015 with the founding of the Government and Economic Development Institute.

SGA President Jacqueline Keck said her time working with Gogue was marked by hard work and determination. She was impressed when, after introducing herself and telling Gouge she wanted to work with economic development, he nonchalantly riddled off the five most important characteristics an economy needs to grow.

"What sets [Gogue] apart is the way he lets others pursue their own ideas and projects all the while he is able to rally people together for the common goal -- the betterment of Auburn," Keck said.

Keck worked as a student employee in Gogue's office, as a War Eagle Girl and now as SGA president. She remarked on how Gogue served as a faithful steward to Auburn University.

"Auburn students should attend the reception to honor the dedication Dr. Gogue and Mrs. Gogue have made to this institution," Keck said. "It is their leadership, hard work and vision that have created the Auburn that we as students know today."

Share and discuss “Reception to be held in celebration of Gogues' leadership ” on social media.