2 Chainz, We the Kings and The Score to perform at Auburn Airwaves

After a change of artists, leaving Bebe Rexha out of the lineup for Auburn Airwaves, the University Program Council has released their official artists.

2 Chainz, We the Kings and The Score are set to perform for University students and community members on Sept. 18, 2017, at 7 p.m. in the Auburn Arena. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. and parking will be available for ticket holders in the Arena lot.

In the past, Auburn Airwaves has been held in the spring, but it has been moved to the fall this year as per the request of Auburn University administration.

Last spring, UPC decided to take the semester off from the event to review the money spent on the $45 Student Activity Fee and its use in funding the concert.

The sabbatical from Airwaves was a part of the "benchmark process" to compare the Airwaves concert to other Auburn concerts hosted throughout the year. Airwaves has faced criticism by the Auburn community in past years.

Kesha's performance in 2015 received negative reviews and conversations were started about the standard of public performances in an Auburn City Council meeting. These conversations led to the move from Toomer's corner to the Red Barn.

After Bebe Rexha received a counter offer she couldn't resist, UPC staff began looking for other artists to fill her spot.

UPC President Briana Carter said the "long, long process of finalizing a contract" ended with Rexha choosing the offer to perform live in another arena.

Lauren Brands, director of public relations for UPC, said they went back to student surveys to find each artist.

"Stuff happens, things change and we roll with the punches," Brands said. "We try to have the best artists for the students."

The Score was originally planned to come and We the Kings came once changes were made to the lineup.

Brands said each year they try to throw in a twist for the students and this year all ticketholders will be given an LED wrist band.

"We just like to do something special for the event and the LED wrist bands add a lot," Brands said. "Last year we have large glow sticks."

Brands said they are going to keep selling tickets until they fill the arena and they hope to provide a space for everyone that would like to come to the concert. At the moment, Brands said UPC is "steady and on-track" for Monday.

Tickets will be sold for $16 to students and $43 for the general public. They can be purchased aub.ie/airwaves. The "Clear Bag Policy" will be enforced at the concert.

More on the featured artists:

2 Chainz: Born with the name, Tauheed Epps, 2 Chainz has been performing for large audiences since 2007 when Supply and Demand released. His original stage name, Tity Boi, was changed in 2011, wrote Billboard. He has been compared to Future, Wiz Khalifa and Lil Yachty. His most recent album, Pretty Girls Like Trap Music, was released earlier this year. "It's A Vibe" is the top ranked song on 2 Chainz Spotify page at the time of this article.

We the Kings: The "melodic emo pop band," as described by Billboard is originally from Bradenton, Florida, the same town Tropicana orange juice is produced in. Billboard reported the band had been friends since childhood. "Sad Song" is currently their most popular song on Spotify. Their most recent album, So Far, was released in 2016.

The Score: Formed in New York City, the band is now based out of Los Angeles and is known for their indie pop sound. They have been compared to Fun. and Walk the Moon by ALLMUSIC. Their most recent album, Never Going Back, was released on Sept. 8. Spotify listeners can check out their most popular song at the moment, "Unstoppable."

Share and discuss “2 Chainz, We the Kings and The Score to perform at Auburn Airwaves” on social media.