Basketball season ticket holders request refunds after Person arrest

Auburn Athletics has refunded season tickets to some ticket holders who wanted their money back after the program's associate head coach was arrested on federal corruption and bribery charges.

A spokeswoman for Auburn Athletics confirmed to The Plainsman Wednesday that "a few people" requested refunds and those were granted. The news was originally reported by AL.com

The refunds come two days after the basketball program announced that it sold out its season tickets for the upcoming season. It also comes a day after associate head coach Chuck Person was charged with defrauding the United States.

Person was arrested overnight Monday into Tuesday as part of a nationwide effort to detain ten individuals, including Person and three other NCAA basketball coaches, involved in an ongoing, wide-ranging investigation into alleged bribery and fraud schemes at Division 1 basketball programs.

The former Auburn and NBA player, who coached in the NBA before joining Auburn's coaching staff in 2014 as an assistant coach, was suspended without pay after federal prosecutors announced the charges Tuesday morning.

The University has said it is "angry" over the alleged scheme and will work with prosecutors to assist in the investigation.

The scheme, according to prosecutors, involved top coaches funneling student-athletes to agents and financial advisers in return for cash bribes, according to the prosecutors.

The ten other coaches, managers, financial advisers and representatives from Adidas, are facing similar charges, including coaches at Southern California, Oklahoma and Arizona.

Person was released from custody Tuesday but was ordered to appear in New York federal court on Oct. 10.

On Wednesday, Louisville, which wasn't named explicitly named in the report but was implicated, fired its athletics director Tom Jurich and its legendary basketball head coach Rick Pitino.

Share and discuss “Basketball season ticket holders request refunds after Person arrest” on social media.