Making a splash for a local cause

The sixth annual Auburn Polar Plunge raises money for the Lee County Special Olympics

Members of the Auburn community braved Saturday morning's chilly weather and the cold water to support the Lee County Special Olympics today as participants in the sixth annual Polar Plunge made their way back to Samford Pool.

Six years ago, Ryan Molt commenced the first Polar Plunge in his backyard pool with just 18 friends and family members. They collectively raised $4,000, which made him realize the potential that a plunge in a larger area could have for the Lee County Special Olympics. The following year, the Polar Plunge was moved to Samford Pool and attracted more people.

People of all ages participated in this year's event – some even dressed up in costumes to jump into the pool. Aubie made a splash in the pool wearing a penguin costume.

Larry Molt, Ryan Molt's son, and Alex Molt, Ryan Molt's wife, were this year’s runners-up for best costume and have attended the Polar Plunge for all six years.

“Every year Alex decides what we dress up as," Larry Molt said, staying warm under his costume. "This year we are pigs in a blanket, and one of our favorite years we dressed up as a polar bear and a plunger. The dressing-up part makes it fun, and it is always interesting to see how creative people decide to get with it."

The money raised from the Polar Plunge stays in Lee County, and it is what supports them the most throughout the year. Last year the Polar Plunge helped raise $14,000 for the organization, and they are hoping to continue to grow the event and raise even more money.

“This is our largest fundraiser for the Lee County Special Olympics,” said Elizabeth Kaufman, Lee County Special Olympics director, who was dressed as a deviled egg and preparing to jump into the frigid water.

“The money earned from the Polar Plunge helps provide uniforms, transportation and equipment for the over 400 athletes that participate in the Lee County Special Olympics.”

Ryan Molt added that the money raised helps keep athletes' participation free for the families involved.

The support from the Polar Plunge makes so many things a possibility for the Lee County Special Olympics, Kaufman said. Not only has it raised awareness for the event, but it has also provided more opportunities for the community.

“We are able to expand and provide more opportunities for the athletes and more support for the coaches," she said. "We just recently added tennis and gymnastics."

Share and discuss “Making a splash for a local cause” on social media.