Treasurer candidate Dixon Simmons supports funding for student orgs

One component of Simmons platform is to support funding for on-campus student organizations

Dixon Simmons, junior in accounting, is running for treasurer of SGA in this upcoming term and has plans for not only budget but student finance. 

Simmons has been previously involved in government by assuming the position of budget and finance chair and is supported through his campaign by his fraternity, farmhouse. 

One component of Simmons platform is to support funding for on-campus student organizations. 

“This means that I will work with administration to reallocate funding from fees that you already pay in your tuition to go directly towards student-run organizations,” Simmons said. “This additional funding would mainly go towards the hiring of more advisors, liability insurance for organizations, and increased funding for organizations board.” 

Simmons hopes to keep students more aware and informed on financial matters as well. 

“I plan to do this by ensuring that a yearly spending report is published on the SGA website to clearly show where student money is being spent,” Simmons said. 

Increasing financial literacy among students is another goal for Simmons’ upcoming term. 

Included in this goal is an official office for Financial Literacy. Here students could have questions answered and information provided on financial matters. 

Simmons last campaign goal is to further the budget and finance process for campus funding. 

“This allocation process has become more and more difficult each year and I have a lot of ideas to improve this process and ensure that every student organization’s voice is heard before they are allocated their funding for the year,” Simmons said. 

Simmons said that the reallocation process will not involve increasing tuition or raising fees. 

“I thought that just treasurer was a great way to stay involved, not only stay involved but also have like a different kind of perspective on it and like a bigger voice on these things,” Simmons said.

His passion for finance caused Simmons decided to run for treasurer, but he is also ready to hear feedback from students. 

“Just because it’s campaign week, I think yes it’s a great time for me to share my platform and my vision but I also think it’s an awesome time to get feedback from students, to talk to students that I normally wouldn’t talk to,” Simmons said.

Like many Auburn students and alumni, Simmons said he believes in the importance of the Auburn Family. 

“I think I have such just an incredible community at Auburn that is always just encouraging me to be a better man and to just be a better leader,” Simmons said. 

Simmons campaign will be involved during concourse week to meet with students and answer questions about what he stands for and his policies. His slogan is ‘Simmons makes cents’. 

“My outlook on campaign week, like honestly, I’m really excited just to get out there and meet students and hopefully get, I guess one of my goals for this week is just to get a lot of feedback and as much feedback as possible,” Simmons said. 

Share and discuss “Treasurer candidate Dixon Simmons supports funding for student orgs” on social media.