Black Lives Matter co-founder Opal Tometi to speak on campus Tuesday at BSU event

Auburn University's Black Student Union will host "Creating a Conversation in Color" with Black Lives Matter co-founder Opal Tometi. The lecture will take place Tuesday afternoon in the Student Center Ballroom.

Tometi is credited with creating the online platform and initiating the social media strategy of #BlackLivesMatter during its infancy, according to her website.

Tometi is expected to discuss social activism for students, intellectual diversity on campuses and the origins of the BLM movement while dispelling some myths about the organization and its motivations.

She is also the executive director of the Black Alliance for Just Immigration, a national organization founded in 2006 that “educates and advocates to further immigrant rights and racial justice together with African-American, Afro-Latino, African and Caribbean immigrant communities.”

The event is set for 6 p.m. and doors open at 5 p.m. The event is open to all Auburn University students, faculty and staff with a valid Auburn University ID.

Share and discuss “Black Lives Matter co-founder Opal Tometi to speak on campus Tuesday at BSU event” on social media.