Auburn WR Noah Igbinoghene to receive reps at cornerback in spring ball

"We've got to find a way to get him on the field"

Freshman Noah Igbinoghene may be assuming an Iron Man role for Auburn football come next season.

In spring practice, the wideout will receive reps at both cornerback and wide receiver, head coach Gus Malzahn announced Thursday at his first spring press conference.

"We're very deep at wide receiver," Malzahn said. "From a coaches' standpoint, his upside is very high. We've got to find a way to get him on the field."

All of Auburn's key pieces from its 2017 wide receiving corps are returning. Senior Ryan Davis will be limited until later in the spring after a shoulder surgery, Malzahn said.

MORE: WR Noah Igbinoghene turns in best Auburn freshman performance in 20 years at SEC Track & Field indoors

The unit helped quarterback Jarrett Stidham turn in just the second 3000-plus-yard passing season in program history last year.

A dual-athlete for football and track and field, the freshman Igbinoghene was primarily a return specialist for the Tigers during the 2017 season.

"We really feel like he's got special talent," Malzahn said. "We were very impressed with him last year in special teams, we want to make sure he has the best chance of being on the field."

Igbinoghene was fourth in the SEC with 24 kicks returned for 571 yards, averaging 23.8 yards a return, good for sixth-best in the SEC for yards per return.

He contributed in a minimum capacity outside of special teams, with six catches for 24 yards and one rush for 11.

Auburn will welcome a quartet of freshman receivers in 2018 in four-stars Shedrick Jackson, Anthony Schwartz, Matthew Hill and Seth Williams. 

Share and discuss “Auburn WR Noah Igbinoghene to receive reps at cornerback in spring ball” on social media.