How to travel to all Auburn football road games

For die-hard Auburn football fans who love traveling to every game with the team, last season was a bother

For die-hard Auburn football fans who love traveling to every game with the team, last season was a bother.

When your closest road games are in South Carolina and Louisiana, that’s a problem. Clemson and LSU were the most manageable trips, but, of course, Auburn turned in losses there. The other three away games — Missouri, Arkansas, Texas A&M — averaged to be 10.7-hour car rides. It’s a miracle both postseason games were played in familiar Atlanta.

2018 knows no such traveling difficulties. Complete with a season opener back at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (eek!), Auburn’s road slate this coming season allows fans the opportunity to say they went to every football game, given they’re able.

Washington Huskies (Atlanta) — Sept. 1, 2018

Just when Auburn thought it might be getting off the hook with the Clemson series concluding, another playoff contender enters from stage (very) north.

The colossal Week 1 throwdown in the Benz should be one of, if not the most, influential game of the week. Both teams have playoff aspirations this season behind stellar defenses and a Heisman hopeful under center.

Luckily for Tiger fans, this should be a pseudo home game. It’s a two-hour trip to Atlanta from campus, and the game will more than likely be one of ESPN’s nightcaps (it's a 2:30 p.m. CT kick. What do I know?), meaning the whole trip can be done in a day. Washington fans, on the other hand, will need to carve out a long and expensive weekend to traverse the states and see their Huskies open the season.

There’s plenty to do in Atlanta before the game, and although traffic will be dreadful heading home, a victory will inject momentum into Auburn’s upcoming homestand.

Mississippi State Bulldogs (Starkville, Miss.) — Oct. 6, 2018

Aside from the obviously nightmarish November at Georgia and Alabama, the upstart Bulldogs might be Auburn’s biggest true road threat in 2018. It should be a great game, as State will return star QB Nick Fitzgerald paired with new head coach and offensive mastermind Joe Moorhead.

Auburn fans will be catching football fever at this point, coming off a four-game homestand against Alabama State, LSU, Arkansas and Southern Miss, the longest stretch of consecutive home games since 2016. The showdown in Starkville could be an 11 a.m. CST kick like it was two seasons ago, or it could be primetime game if both teams are playing well. If it’s the former, the four-hour drive becomes that much more daunting.

No matter the kick time, Auburn students should make note to inquire about friends of friends in Starkville early in the year if planning to attend the game. MSU knocks out of state tuition for Alabamians at a fairly average ACT score, making it a popular choice for students who want the SEC experience but want to get away from the Auburn-Alabama bind.

Ole Miss Rebels (Oxford, Miss.) — Oct. 20, 2018

A Jordan-Hare date with Tennessee for the first time in 10 years splits the Mississippi games for Auburn, but a trip to Oxford shouldn't differ much from Starkville. Ole Miss is closer to a five-hour drive from Auburn, but the Tigers haven't played a day game at UM since 2012.

Oxford boasts one of the nation's top tailgating traditions in "The Grove," and even if you can't find Rebel students to house you, Ole Miss's beautiful campus is one for the bucket list.

Georgia Bulldogs (Athens, Ga.) — Nov. 10, 2018

Athens is often compared to LSU in terms of its rambunctious and wily fanbase, but if you’re willing to weather the storm, Sanford Stadium is a must-see.

UGA is arguably the hottest program in the country and is rapidly joining the likes of Clemson and Alabama as perennial national title contenders. If nothing else, seeing a budding dynasty in person in The Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry should be reason enough to make the three-hour drive from Auburn, as there’s nearly no doubt this will be a night game.

Much will ride on this matchup, including the pecking order of the conference and, ultimately, the SEC Championship teams. Auburn will be out for revenge after an embarrassing loss in Atlanta last year, and Georgia should be hungry for the same reason (different game). If Auburn can pull it off, you’ll want to be there.

Alabama Crimson Tide (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) — Nov. 24, 2018

If you thought last year’s “Amen Corner” was bad for Auburn, how about playing both national championship teams on the road?

Two of Auburn’s final three games of the regular season are enough to boost its strength of schedule into the top 10.

Playing the defending champs on their turf is no small task, but as any football fan in the state knows, the past goes out the window in the Iron Bowl.

Friends are easy to find in Tuscaloosa, and if you don’t have any from your high school, try making some connections.

For all the flak the respective schools catch in the fall, there is a mutual respect between the two — and probably a shared hatred of Georgia. A lot of Auburn fans grew up rooting for the Crimson Tide and vice versa. Once the conversation moves past Saturday night’s game, a trip to T-Town can be one for the books.

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “How to travel to all Auburn football road games” on social media.