Tigers O-linemen Calvin Ashley, Mike Horton working multiple spots in fall camp

"I like our team, I'll say that. I just want the pieces of the puzzle put together. Hopefully, we will have that figured out sooner rather than later"

Calvin Ashley pushes off a sled during drills Friday.
Auburn football first practice on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Calvin Ashley pushes off a sled during drills Friday. Auburn football first practice on Friday, Aug. 3, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Competition at offensive line is beginning to take shape as Gus Malzahn prepares to begin his sixth season as Auburn's head coach and position coach J.B. Grimes begins his first year back on The Plains. 

Right guard Mike Horton took snaps at center and former five-star tackle Calvin Ashley continued to receive reps at right guard.

"Horton worked primarily at guard today during practice," Malzahn said. "I think J.B.'s plan is to put him back at center tomorrow."

If Horton's move to center places him as the starter going forward, Ashley will have a great shot to replace Horton as the starting right guard. It seems as if Ashley's move to guard is a plan the coaches are going to stick to.

"As of right now we are working him at right guard," Malzahn said. "He has the ability to play right tackle, but right now we are committed to him playing guard.

Figuring out the five starting linemen is something Malzahn wants to settle by the end of the team's first scrimmage Thursday. Prince Tega Wanagho, Marquel Harrell and Mike Horton seem to have three of the spots going forward.

"There's a lot of competition," Malzahn said. "But when you are 27 days away you want to put the pieces of the puzzle together sooner rather than later. The quicker we can get them in places the better."

In addition to Ashley at right guard, Tashawn Manning and Brodarius Hamm are competing for playing time. With Ashley's apparent move, right tackle is shaping up to be a two-man battle between Austin Troxell and grad transfer Jack Driscoll.

"I like our team, I'll say that," Malzahn said. "I just want the pieces of the puzzle put together. Hopefully, we will have that figured out sooner rather than later."

Share and discuss “Tigers O-linemen Calvin Ashley, Mike Horton working multiple spots in fall camp” on social media.