Auburn Creed inspires new scholarship

The deadline to apply for the Auburn Creed Scholarship, worth $1000, is this Friday.

The Student Government Association will award five students exemplifying the meanings of the Auburn Creed through their academic excellence, involvement and community service.

"It's not based on GPA or leadership skills," said Jacob Watkins, SGA President-elect. "We're trying to be really broad and look for well-rounded students."

Samantha Nicolle, former executive director of SGA Initiatives, helped draft the scholarship.

"We talked about what criteria we thought would be important," Nicolle said. "We placed a big emphasis on community service, but that's not what it's solely based on. We just like to see someone putting in an effort to return something to the Auburn community that served all of us so well."

The scholarship is based on Auburn's Creed and is open to any Auburn student who applies to receive it, just like the Creed Scholarship itself, according to the SGA's Web site.

Michael Reynolds, executive director of Student Financial Services, said it couldn't hurt to apply.

"I wouldn't not do it," Reynolds said. "What if you're the only one to apply? Your chances are pretty good then."

As for competition, there is no way to tell what applying students may be up against.

"This is our first year, so we're hoping a lot apply, but we really don't know yet," Watkins said.

The Auburn Creed scholarship came about during the SGA's previous administration.

"Last year, when the past president was Lauren (Hayes), one of her main initiatives was the current scholarship program," Watkins said. "They did that by forming a scholarship committee and started by exploring ways to find funds for the scholarship."

The funds programs for scholarships are usually either donor-driven or raised, said Naomi Wadkins, assistant director in the Office of University Scholarships.

"The programs are sponsorships we have with companies, and they produce revenue for the SGA," Watkins said.

Watkins said a percentage of these funds, as well as money from the budget will provide money for the scholarship.

"It's a partnership," Watkins said. "For the Verizon program, we promote them at all of our events."

Watkins said Verizon gives Auburn students discounts on accounts.

"They come to all of our events, and every student who goes to Verizon gets a discount on their account then Verizon gives us money," Watkins said.

Applications are available in the SGA office in the Student Center, Room 3130 and on the SGA Web site.

"This really takes root here in Auburn, and we can continue it year after year," Nicolle said. "Hopefully, it will get more popular and be able to help out a couple of students."

Share and discuss “Auburn Creed inspires new scholarship” on social media.