Should students and faculty have concealed weapons on campus?

The anniversary of Lauren Burk's death, along with a bomb threat in the Lowder Business Building, has students engaging in a conversation that seems to be an almost yearly occurrence.

Some students want the right to carry concealed weapons on campus, and others are adamantly opposed to such a policy.

Last year, Alabama state Sen. Hank Erwin requested a law be made to let qualified faculty and students carry concealed firearms on college campuses.

The law did not pass.

And so here we are again, debating the best way to prepare ourselves for the unpredictable.

One side wants the human right to protect themselves by any means possible, while the other wants the peace of mind that something worse will not happen while a classmate attempts to protect themselves.

Some worry that a student with a hot head and a weapon on them may be quick to reach for their sidearm.

Both arguments rely heavily on hypothetical "what if?"s that can cancel each other out.

The root of the problem inherent in this debate is the simple premise that criminals do not obey laws or rules.

The only guns under the control of gun control policies are the guns of sane people who do not wish to do harm to their fellow human beings.

It is a cold, scary revelation, meaning we rely on the general truth that violent attacks more often do not happen than they do.

But it is the truth.

But ignoring that, like we humans like to do, a compromise could be reached.

Allowing students to keep weapons in their vehicles could make some feel safer, while allowing for the possibility for the "cooler head" one would acquire on their way out to their vehicle if they are making a hasty decision out of anger.

The one suggestion that both parties could probably agree on would be an increased police presence on campus.

Share and discuss “Should students and faculty have concealed weapons on campus?” on social media.