T.rex cast displayed in Petrie Hall

Auburn University may not be "Jurassic Park," but visitors to Petrie Hall may feel like it is when they walk through the building's front doors.

A massive, 350-pound cast of a Tyrannosaurus rex skull resides in the foyer of the academic building that houses the departments of geology and geography.

Charles Savrda, professor and chair in the department of geology, said "Stan," as the cast is known, was purchased from the Black Hills Institute of Geologic Research in Hill City, S.D. in 2000 using donations from the University Concessions Board.

The cast of Stan is an exact replica of the actual fossil, and even includes a hole on the back of his skull that is believed to be a bite mark from one of his dinosaur peers.

David King, a professor of geology, teaches an occasional elective at Auburn called "Alabama Dinosaurs."

King said although the T.rex is not believed to have lived in Alabama, like other dinosaurs such as the Appalachiosuarua and the Lophorhothon, it is regarded to be one of the most powerful dinosaurs to have ever lived.

"He was the top of the food chain, the top predator, a meat eater and one of the largest dinosaurs of its time," King said.

King also said T.rex specimens are a rare find.

"Only about 12 or 15 specimens of T.rex have been found that are complete," King said. "There's not as many T.rex as people think. "

Stan has brought the department plenty of attention, but it obtained some unwanted awareness when the cast was stolen on the evening of Dec. 1, 2005.

Savrda said Stan reappeared in a damaged state several days later at Indian Pines Golf Course, located in Auburn on Country Club Drive.

However, the damage done to Stan was extensive, causing the University to purchase a replacement in 2006.

Savrda said the biggest role Stan plays is an outreach tool for various youth science camps and field trips.

"I can hear 50 or 60 children talking and giggling from my office while they are on a walking field trip from their school," Savrda said. "A lot of people during the day will come in and visit."

Children are not the only ones captivated by Stan. Students walking into Petrie Hall are as well.

"It's an interesting and intriguing way to walk into the geology building," said Davis Fite, a senior in geography.

Share and discuss “T.rex cast displayed in Petrie Hall” on social media.