Natalie Nettles / Assistant Intrigue Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Track and Field finish strong at Penn Relays

The Auburn men's and women's track and field team earned second and fourth place titles, as well as a college division title at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia, Penn, April 23-25."Some of the best teams across the country were there, and we competed very well, so I'm excited about how it went," said head coach Ralph Spry.The Tigers broke a personal record in the 4x200 meter-relay as sophomores Joanna Atkins and Cache Armbrister, and freshmen CeCe Williams and Nivea Smith beat Auburn's previous record of 1:32.42 with a time of 1:31.19.The record was also the fifth-best time in Penn Relays history.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Lost cellular calls continue on campus

The Student Center may be the hub of student activity, but it is generally a dead zone when it comes to cell phone service.However, Verizon Wireless is working to improve its service in the Student Center, said Brian Keeter, director of public affairs for Auburn. "First, Verizon Wireless will install a kiosk to help deliver better service to Verizon customers," Keeter said.

News

Talking or Tweeting?

First, there was MySpace. Then, there was Facebook. Now, another social network named Twitter is taking the social media world by storm.Twitter premiered in 2006 and, according to Nielson Online, was the fastest-growing social network in February 2009 with 7,038,000 unique visitors.Tripp Girdler, a junior in business, has had a Twitter account for about a year."I like being able to keep in touch with friends in other cities to see what they're doing and stuff," Girdler said.

News

T.rex cast displayed in Petrie Hall

Auburn University may not be "Jurassic Park," but visitors to Petrie Hall may feel like it is when they walk through the building's front doors.A massive, 350-pound cast of a Tyrannosaurus rex skull resides in the foyer of the academic building that houses the departments of geology and geography.Charles Savrda, professor and chair in the department of geology, said "Stan," as the cast is known, was purchased from the Black Hills Institute of Geologic Research in Hill City, S.D.

More articles »

More media »