The Freshmen Life...

Drinking among college students has always been an issue, but freshmen classes in particular can take things to an extreme concerning alcohol consumption.

A recent study at Columbia University proved nearly half of all college freshmen who drink spend more time doing so than studying.

Of these freshmen who said they do drink, 25 percent said they have noticed a decline in their academic performance.

"Being a college freshman means having to make new friends and find a group that you fit in with," said Meaghan Gonsalves, a junior in animal sciences. "Most of the time, this involves alcohol in some way because it's new and exciting and there's no way you're going to get in trouble for it."

Prioritizing social events before academic responsibilities can tempt some to drink.

"Peer pressure has a lot to do with partying over studying," said Jamie Colbert, a senior in mechanical engineering. "It's not like high school anymore, and everyone doesn't have the same assignments to do every night. So, each night differs in regards to who should and shouldn't be going out, and those who shouldn't find themselves being talked into going out. You have to make the smart choice."

Studies have shown that the culture shock of living on their own, away from parents, influences the way college freshmen behave, including the amount of alcohol they consume.

"Freshmen are going to drink more than they did in high school because they can get alcohol easier," Gonsalves said. "Venture down any street on a Friday night and someone will offer you a beer."

In addition to college apartments and houses, bars in college towns have been known to be lenient on students who may not have celebrated their 21st birthdays yet.

"Bars are not strict enough on freshmen," said Tyler Cutting, a senior in health administration. "It's too easy to find a way into bars and find ways to get drinks once you're in. This is where kids are going to get in trouble because police officers watch people coming out of the bars."

Colbert said there is a break down in communication with freshmen and their parents.

"In terms of a general consensus, freshmen are not open with their parents about drinking because they are afraid of the repercussions," Colbert said. "It also has to do with the fear of disappointing their parents."

Of course, not every freshman indulges in underage drinking.The alcohol-enhanced get-togethers do not end with freshman year, either.

"I think the alcohol usage increases throughout your college career," Colbert said. "I know I drink more often now that I'm of age then I did when I wasn't."

Although drinking is prevalent on campus, many students do not feel it is a real problem.

They do not think the University needs to take any more action it already does to monitor the amount students drink.

Cutting said relying on friends to be the designated driver or having a couch to crash on is how some freshmen remain safe if they should drink too much.

"I don't think a freshman drinking is that big of a deal," Cutting said. "In my experience, students always have a designated driver or ride the shuttle home. Most people are also open to letting someone who drank spend the night because we all know about and try to avoid the road blocks."

Share and discuss “The Freshmen Life...” on social media.