Bridgette Bonner / Staff Writer

News

Dishonesty against policy

Writing answers on a small folded piece of paper, texting them across the room, stealing other students' work and forging excuse notes will all land students a trip to the Office of the Provost Academic Honesty Committee.A recent study by collegehumor.com revealed 60 percent of college students admit to have cheated at least once in their college career.J.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Assistant commissioner talks sports PR with students

Charles Bloom, assistant commissioner for media relations for the Southeastern Conference, spoke to Auburn public relations students about working with sports PR in the Auburn Athletic Complex Auditorium Tuesday, April 7.Bloom graduated from the University of South Carolina in '85 with a bachelor's degree in public relations and went on to cover PR at LSU, Ole Miss and East Carolina before he began covering the entire SEC in '95.A small staff of approximately 30 people run media relations for the SEC headquarters in Birmingham.Bloom said promoting the SEC goes deeper than athletics."We are just as concerned with academic excellence in our 12 institutions as we are with athletics," Bloom said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Obama speaks about the economy

President Obama spoke to Congress for an hour about his economic plan last Tuesday.Some of the issues Obama focused on were education, healthcare, the war in Iraq and areas in which money will be spent to rebuild the economy."We will rebuild," Obama said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Students work it out to lose weight

One out of every three Alabamians is struggling with obesity, but the people of Auburn are doing what they can to fight or avoid this problem.Gold's Gym, located on East University Drive, has more than 6,000 members, and approximately 600 attend the gym daily.Of the 6,000 Gold's Gym members, 90 percent are college students trying to avoid gaining the freshman 15 or get rid of the unwanted pounds that came after the college acceptance letter."I have always been involved in sports, and working out was important to me, but it became a priority in college," says Silver Drummond, a junior at Auburn.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Summer classes help students stock up on hours

Need a break from big classes, Donahue traffic, packed C Zones and crazy schedules,? Lacking credit hours?Taking summer classes at Auburn is a way to avoid the chaos and get the hours needed to fill up the curriculum sheet.Summer classes tend to be smaller because a smaller amount of students take classes in the summer than in the fall or spring."There are fewer students per classroom in the summer because not everybody is here in the summer," said Lawrence Wit, associate dean of the College of Science and Mathematics.

More articles »