Assistant commissioner talks sports PR with students

Charles Bloom, assistant commissioner for media relations for the Southeastern Conference, spoke to Auburn public relations students about working with sports PR in the Auburn Athletic Complex Auditorium Tuesday, April 7.

Bloom graduated from the University of South Carolina in '85 with a bachelor's degree in public relations and went on to cover PR at LSU, Ole Miss and East Carolina before he began covering the entire SEC in '95.

A small staff of approximately 30 people run media relations for the SEC headquarters in Birmingham.

Bloom said promoting the SEC goes deeper than athletics.

"We are just as concerned with academic excellence in our 12 institutions as we are with athletics," Bloom said. "It's like the commercials say, 'most of the athletes will go pro in something other than sports.'"

Bloom said only the top 1 percent of college athletes go professional, so a good college education has to be a priority for athletes.

"The NCAA has pushed to raise the graduation rate among athletes, and the numbers (of athletes that graduate) have never been as high as they are now," Bloom said.

Sports public relations workers get to know not just the game, but the individuals that play the game.

Bloom explained there are public and private victories. Public victories are an SEC win, and private victories are successes in the athletes they are representing.

"It's all about seeing the athlete you helped prepare for an interview nail the interview," Bloom said.

Bloom said in addition to promoting athletics and academics in the SEC, a big part of his job is being caught up on the ways people get their news.

"The media is changing now more so than ever, so we have to change how we deal with the media," Bloom said. "People get their news from the Internet and TV, so that's where we get our word out."

The SEC operates via Internet through its Web site, secsports.com, Facebook and Twitter. It signs rights to television and radio stations, and recently signed a contract with CBS and ESPN.

"The SEC will be the most viewed conference for at least the next 15 years," Bloom said. "Not only that, but each SEC school will have its own page on ESPN 360."

ESPN360.com broadcasts live sports events online, including those not televised.

Bloom said the best way to get involved in sports public relations is to get real-life experience, such as getting involved in Auburn media relations or becoming a part of the Public Relations Student Society of America.

Kirk Sampson, assistant athletic director for media relations in the athletic department at Auburn, said the best way for someone interested in a career with athletics to get a head start is to volunteer with the Auburn athletic department or with PR around the area.

"It's a good way to learn the trade and obtain an internship," Sampson said.

Sampson said former Auburn students are working with ESPN, the NFL and other college athletic departments.

"We've got people at Baylor, Kansas State, North Dakota, Vanderbilt, Georgia and Tennessee that work full time or as graduate assistants," Sampson said.

Kristin Keller, a junior in public relations, is interested in covering sports as a career. Keller heard Bloom's speech and said she took a lot from it.

"The part that stuck out the most to me was how much (Bloom) enjoys his job," Keller said. "He inspired me to continue in the same direction I'm going with sports PR. I love football. That's really where my heart is."

Keller wants to work for an NFL team or with a large college team in football.

"If you love to write and love sports, sports PR is the way to go," Bloom said.

Share and discuss “Assistant commissioner talks sports PR with students” on social media.