Auburn grad publishes recipe book

Above is a sample recipe from Hoffman's new cookbook, "College Cooking with Julie."

With a dash of this and a sprinkle of that, Julie Hoffman is cooking up something for all students to enjoy.

For the past couple of years, Hoffman, an Auburn graduate, has been creating a cookbook specifically geared toward college students.

"I have 11 chapters, all of which target the typical college student," Hoffman said. "Some of the chapter names include 'Study Time Snacks,' 'Crowd Pleasers,' 'Dropping the Freshman 15,' 'Date Night Dinners,' 'Dorm Dishes' and 'Pinchin' Pennies.'"

"College Cooking with Julie" (the name is subject to change) should hit shelves in mid-April, she said.

Hoffman said her cookbook is unique because she tried to stay away from using exact measurements in her recipes.

"I use the measurements of 'handful,' 'dash,' 'scoop' and 'splash' often," Hoffman said. "I do this because being too dependent on proper measurements takes away all the fun. I believe imperfection is needed in cooking, and mistakes encourage creativity."

Hoffman said she combined her two passions, cooking and finance, and modified her recipes to a time and money budget.

Elizabeth Gilchrist, a senior in exercise science, said she cooks at home about six nights a week, because she enjoys making the food.

"I am always interested in new recipes," Gilchrist said, "and being a college student - broke and not having a lot of time - I think (the cookbook) is a great idea."

Gilchrist said she thinks "College Cooking with Julie" would help her add variety to her cooking.

"I tend to eat the same five meals," Gilchrist said.

Hoffman said she sees cooking at home as a win-win situation.

When people eat at home, she said, they save money, eat healthier, bring people together and get to relax.

"I hope more people get in the kitchen and start to get creative," Hoffman said.

Ty Samples, a junior in business administration, said he prefers cooking his own meals, because he likes to eat healthy.

"Going out to eat can be expensive, and with the right ingredients, home-cooked meals are much better," Samples said. "If recipes call for affordable ingredients, then it always helps."

Both Gilchrist and Samples think "College Cooking with Julie" will help students save money and pick out healthier options at the grocery store.

"Not everyone can cook," Gilchrist said. "I think the step-by-step instructions and planning what to buy at the grocery store will help out a lot."

Hoffman said her inspiration for the cookbook came from her roommates and friends, who never know where to begin in the kitchen.

"Over the years in college, I had many of my friends suggest I should write a cookbook for college students, but I never took them too seriously," Hoffman said.

"When I accidentally graduated a semester early this past December, I thought this was the time to write it, if I was ever going to."

Share and discuss “Auburn grad publishes recipe book” on social media.