CityFest has largest turnout in history

Auburn CityFest held its 9th annual community event with its largest exhibitor attendance yet Saturday, April 25.

More than 125 arts and crafts exhibitors set up camp at Kiesel Park to share the day of children's activities, dog walks, food and live music.

"This event is a time for the community to come out and enjoy a day of arts and crafts, entertainment, good food and much more," said Claire Adams, spring interim for the Auburn Parks and Recreation Department. "Every year the number of people who attend this event increases."

Last year's attendance was more than 35,000, making a record high for CityFest.

"This year the attendance was well over 40,000 people," Adams said.

Ali Wilson, co-coordinator of Auburn CityFest, said she felt the event was successful within the community because it is a free event and it reaches out to every demographic.

"Lots and lots of planning for about nine months plus out of the year goes on with setting up and planning for CityFest," Wilson said.

Promoting exhibitors, raising sponsorship money, recruiting volunteers and research for children's activities are just some of the tasks that take place in the months before the actual event, Wilson said.

Hosted by the Auburn Parks and Recreation Department, CityFest offered International Paul Bunyan Lumberjack Log Rolling Water Show and Children's Imagination Station because of last year's popularity.

Other activities included the Raptor Center Exhibition, trout fishing, Tone Tone the Clown, ArtFest Tent and the Children's Art Exhibition going all day.

Entertainment for the day included Todd Vickery, The Ben Caver Band and Martha's Trouble.

Caver was the headlining band for the day and made his way from Nashville, Tenn.

Vickery kicked off the day with his familiar authentic acoustic tunes. He plays locally in Auburn.

Martha's Trouble is a local acoustic duo returning to CityFest this year.

The AU Swing Dancers made an appearance with their newest moves.

Local and regional arts and crafts vendors sold handmade jewelry, baskets and clothing.

Amid all the arts and crafts vendors were the fine art exhibitors selling a wide range of products.

Tents containing paintings, pottery, sculptures and prints were scattered all over the east side of the park.

"Of course my favorite part of CityFest was seeing to all finally come together," Adams said. "But in general I would have to say the arts and crafts. There are so many creative people that come from all over the Southeast to participate in this event."

Share and discuss “CityFest has largest turnout in history” on social media.