Dolled up on the diamond

The Diamond Dolls are back and in full swing for this baseball season.

A new baseball coach this season brought the return of the Diamond Dolls. After four years away, the baseball hostesses have created a new organization.

"Our job is to serve as a support group for the team," said Megan Collins, sophomore president majoring in biomedical sciences. "We keep the energy up in the stands by making posters and doing cheers. We get the fans involved by standing on the dugout during the seventh inning stretch and singing 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game.'"

The girls decorate the players' locker room the day before home games and make posters. They attend all baseball games and make play cards for the fans. They even work office hours and help out with recruits.

The girls' biggest job this year has been raising money for the MLP foundation in honor of Coach John Pawlowski's daughter, Mary Louise Pawlowski, who was diagnosed with cancer.

"We did a 5K run and waitressed at the Oyster Bar, and all our checks go to the foundation," said Carson Bayer, a freshman member in public relations. "D.J. Hollywood is putting on a mixed martial arts fight with all proceeds going toward the foundation as well."

This baseball season has gotten off to a great start with a few minor disappointments. With a new coach, there are still some kinks to work out.

"It has not been the best season yet, but the team is working hard," Bayer said. "We beat Vanderbilt in the series this weekend. But the coach is an amazing man, and I believe he will do great things for Auburn University."

The Diamond Dolls selected its new members by two rounds of interviews. Then they held call outs at the baseball stadium.

"On the first round of interviews, we tested the girls on their knowledge of baseball," said Lauren Mills, sophomore vice president majoring in physical education. "The second round of interviews was based on personality and social skills."

This year there are 43 members, but the organization plans to increase to 60 members next year, because it has been so successful. They will hold interviews in September for all the new and returning girls to try out.

"I'm glad they brought back the Diamond Dolls," Bayer said. "I love it, and I plan to run for officer next year. I hope they will keep the organization around for good this time."

Share and discuss “Dolled up on the diamond” on social media.