Old 280 Boogie attracts local crowd

While Auburn was packed with A-Day fans April 18, the town of Waverly, boogied down as it hosted the ninth Annual Old 280 Boogie Music and Arts Festival.

The festival featured art and food by local craftsmen, as well as music by bands such as The Pine Hill Haints and The Figs.

"280 Boogie provides an alternative for people looking for something other than trendy Auburn bands," said Christian Harkins, a junior in English. "I saw a lot of RVs coming in, which makes me think that a lot of these people aren't from here."

The event was community sponsored by public donations and local businesses such as Standard Deluxe Inc., Wickles Pickles and Strutting Duck, among others.

The festival was emceed by Adam Gullatte, Miles Bugg and Rivers Langley, self-described handsome geniuses and scholars also known as Dauphin, Doc and Duke -- "The Hot Damn Boys."

This was the trio's first year to host the music and arts festival.

"Usually it's Wild Man Steve, but he had a prior engagement this year," Langley said.

Gullatte said the festival organizers hired them as emcees after hearing their Sunday evening radio show on WEGL.

"We've been telling people about the cake walk and the Rowdy Rooster puppet show, stuff like that," Gullatte said.

Langley said one of his favorite parts of the festival was the 9-year-old Elvis impersonator, Drake Jennings of Childersburg, Ala.

"He woke up one day and was like, 'I like this old-time stuff, and I like Elvis,'" Langley said. "He was really good."

Music was a major draw for the festival.

When not lounging on blankets listening to music in the sunshine, festival attendees could wander down the road, sampling food or purchasing art made by local businesses and artisans.

Robert Gay of Papa's Nubbins said this was the second year he's sold food at the festival.

"I was here last year and I really like it," Gay said. "It's got a real good atmosphere; it's got a lot of young people, a lot of older people, just good people."

Gay sold pickled okra, dill pickles, apple and pear relish and quail eggs from his stand.

A nubbin is an ear of corn when it first begins to produce kernels; the name came from a nickname Gay's grandfather gave to him when he was a boy growing up.

"I basically do all of it myself," Gay said. "A good portion of everything is grown from a garden at my house; the other part is bought in farmer's markets and places like that."

Harkins said he bought some apple relish from a neighboring stand.

"I really like the tent set-up," Harkins said.

The Old 280 Boogie festival is one of the places Gay said he plans on coming to every year.

"We sell a fairly good bit," Gay said. "Last year we came with not quite as much as we did this year, and we sold out of a lot of items."

Before the festival this year was over, Gay had already sold out of his tomato apple relish.

Admittance to the festival was free, but attendees had to pay for food and certain activities, like the cake walk and face painting.

All money made from the event went toward donations for the bands.

"I love this place," Harkins said. "Waverly is an oasis away from Auburn."

Share and discuss “Old 280 Boogie attracts local crowd” on social media.