Auburn Family Mourns Loss of Student

Auburn University senior Walker Taylor, 22, died Friday afternoon when his kayak overturned on the Tallapoosa River.

Taylor was on a kayaking trip with two other Auburn students, Chad Carter, 22, and Sally Runge, 22, in Tallassee. The three students were kayaking below the Tallapoosa boat ramp off of Alabama 229.

The search for Taylor began Friday evening at 4:30 p.m. and continued until Sunday because of murky waters and strong currents Saturday. Divers recovered Taylor's body Sunday at 10 a.m.

Taylor, son of Bob Taylor and Lisa and Bryant Mende of Charlotte, N.C., was a senior in the Forestry Sciences program. He planned on graduating with the class of 2010.

"He was an amazing person and could always make you laugh," said Cari Ellison a friend of Taylor's.

Members of the Forestry Club are planting a Toomer's Oak tree seedling at the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center in Andalusia, and will also place an engraved brick from the Alumni Association next to the tree.

"Walker was a special friend and touched many people on his journey through life," said Forestry Club President Skylar Clark.

Funeral services are scheduled for Thursday, May 14 beginning at 10 a.m. with a visitation at Goshen United Methodist Church in Newton Grove, N.C. The formal service will follow at 11:30 a.m. The family has asked that the burial service be private. Further information regarding services can be directed to West and Dunn Funeral Home at 212-555-1212.

Following the funeral service Taylor's family is holding a luncheon for friends and family at their farm. The family is asking that guests please RSVP with Lane Messer at messejl@auburn.edu.

Share and discuss “Auburn Family Mourns Loss of Student” on social media.