Andrew Sims/Online Editor

Tyler McGill / contributed photo
News

Ava Ohlgren and Tyler McGill Bring Honors to Auburn Swimming

Junior Ava Ohlgren, 13-time SEC champion, received her fifth gold medal of the 2009 World University Games Saturday in Belgrade, Serbia.Olhren, from Northville, Mich., swam the freestyle leg for the United States 400 medley team during the preliminaries.The team went on to win the gold medal in the Saturday night finals.Ohlgren earned her three other gold medals topping the field in the women's 200m IM finals, the 200m freestyle and swimming leadoff for the victorious United States 800m freestyle relay team.Ohlgren set the record for Auburn winning five gold medals in the games, which is more than any student-athlete in the history of the Auburn swimming and diving program.Ohlgren also placed seventh in Saturday's 200m butterfly finals, touching in at 2:14.18.Ohlgren earned her position on the USA National Team following a 400 Individual Medley victory at the 2008 USA Swimming U.S.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Going Green on the Plains: AU Recycling

What's that buzzing sound? No it's not an old cell phone.It's the sound of new ideas being generated by the people at AU Recycling as they expand their electronic waste recycling program."Right now we give all of our collected, unseparated recyclables to a company called Creative Recycling," said Donnie Addison, coordinator of recycling and waste management reduction.

The Auburn Plainsman
Opinion

Distractions Bog Down Media

I know I am not alone in complaining about this, but by God it feels like it sometimes. I am plagued with the seemingly incurable disease of distractibility.Anyone who knows me can second this without batting an eyelash.

More articles »

More media »