City of Auburn Website Helps Students Find Jobs

Although summer is a time for fun and relaxation, a part-time summer job in Auburn may resolve the summer slumps of bored students.

"Some great resources we have available are the career counselors on staff and a Web site, jobs.auburn.edu, for on and off-campus job opportunity posting," Katie Mantooth, career counselor with Auburn University's career services, said.

This Web site offers utilities such as the ability to create a profile, upload a resume, apply for jobs online and view multiple job descriptions.

Mantooth said students who work 10 to 15 hours a week are proven to be more academically successful, and it improves their time management skills.

She said a job only starts to affect students' grades when they are working more than 20 hours a week and they start working during the hours they need to schedule a class, meet with a professor or be in the library studying.

A job can be difficult for students because they may struggle finding time to study and still have time for a social life.

"I found my job at Gold's Gym last summer just by asking if they were hiring," Beth Latham, a senior in nutrition, said. "It was hard balancing time between my job and class because I would work until 9 p.m. and did not want to study when I got home, but I had to learn time management."

Mantooth agreed it is important for working students to learn how to divide their time up for each activity throughout the day such as class, appointments, working out, study groups and socializing with friends.

Because of the budget cuts in our current economic status, the student-staff is unfortunately the first to be cut, Mantooth said.

There are many jobs offered in the community outside of Auburn's campus. Mantooth said it is often necessary for students to take the initiative to look deeper than jobs.auburn.edu since not every business posts their job openings on Auburn's Web site.

Stephanie King, human resource generalist for the city of Auburn, said there are many opportunities for summer jobs that have to do with sports and recreational programs, such as recreation leaders that oversee children's summer camps or sporting events. There are also lifeguard opportunities for all of the public pools that are hired through the city of Auburn.

"There are other positions available that carry out through the year which are geared directly toward students such as public safety specialist and student fire fighters," King said.

To apply for any job through the City of Auburn, King said you must go to the Web site auburnalabama.org/jobs to print off an application and either mail it in or drop it off at the Alabama career services office.

Share and discuss “City of Auburn Website Helps Students Find Jobs” on social media.