Callie Garrett/Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Swine Flu Incident at Local Summer Camp Event

Two children attending the Kaleidoscope camp at Auburn Junior High School on July 15 were diagnosed with H1N1 influenza.The parents of the children, both from the same family, informed the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation who had organized the summer camp."The parents notified us that the children had been diagnosed last Wednesday," said Becky Richardson, director of Auburn Parks and Recreation.

News

Cancer Summit Advocates Frequent Screenings

The state of Alabama is ranked in the top 10 for cancer deaths, and authorities are brainstorming ways to cut them down."The number one reason why we are in the top 10 for cancer deaths is because we are not getting the screenings like we should," said Paul DeMarco, state representative of Homewood.If people can get their regular screenings, doctors can catch cancer early on, which could lead to a higher survival rate in the state."We discussed at the Cancer Summit ways to pull us out of the top 10", said DeMarco.

Sports

Coach's Feature: Karen Hoppa

Karen Hoppa has been the head coach of Auburn's women's soccer team for the last 10 years, and players say she's had a tremendously positive impact on the program."So many things are great about coaching at Auburn, but the best part is the people, and in particular the student athletes," Hoppa said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

City of Auburn Website Helps Students Find Jobs

Although summer is a time for fun and relaxation, a part-time summer job in Auburn may resolve the summer slumps of bored students."Some great resources we have available are the career counselors on staff and a Web site, jobs.auburn.edu, for on and off-campus job opportunity posting," Katie Mantooth, career counselor with Auburn University's career services, said. This Web site offers utilities such as the ability to create a profile, upload a resume, apply for jobs online and view multiple job descriptions.Mantooth said students who work 10 to 15 hours a week are proven to be more academically successful, and it improves their time management skills.She said a job only starts to affect students' grades when they are working more than 20 hours a week and they start working during the hours they need to schedule a class, meet with a professor or be in the library studying.A job can be difficult for students because they may struggle finding time to study and still have time for a social life."I found my job at Gold's Gym last summer just by asking if they were hiring," Beth Latham, a senior in nutrition, said.

More articles »