Cancer Summit Advocates Frequent Screenings

The state of Alabama is ranked in the top 10 for cancer deaths, and authorities are brainstorming ways to cut them down.

"The number one reason why we are in the top 10 for cancer deaths is because we are not getting the screenings like we should," said Paul DeMarco, state representative of Homewood.

If people can get their regular screenings, doctors can catch cancer early on, which could lead to a higher survival rate in the state.

"We discussed at the Cancer Summit ways to pull us out of the top 10", said DeMarco. "We have a breast and cervical early screening program, and it just needs to be funded. One of the most important things is educating people on this issue and then we need to focus on funding the screening programs."

Dr. Ed Partridge, director of the University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center, was also involved with the Cancer Summit. "The recent Cancer Summit is an initial step to bring together key leaders across the state who can impact cancer mortality through advocacy and policy making," Partridge said.

DeMarco said he encourages Auburn's student body to promote the Cancer Summit and support their ideas. "We are looking to go all across the state next fall to promote our ideas of getting out of the top 10 and really need support from the community when we take this to the legislation," said DeMarco. "We need to work together as a whole team and help support these new policies to reduce the cancer mortality rate."

Lung cancer is one of the numerous types of cancer Alabamians face. "In 2008, there were approximately 3,900 new lung cancer cases diagnosed in Alabama," said Steve Lee, Alabama's director of programs American Lung Association.

Tommy Lotz, mid-south CEO of American Lung Association said 30 percent of male cancer deaths and 26 percent of female cancer deaths in Alabama are caused by lung cancer.

The Alabama cancer summit proposed a tax increase on cigarettes; Lotz said this would decrease the rates of lung cancer. "If you increase the price of cigarettes, teens will never begin to smoke which will decrease the lung cancer rate for their generation further down the road," Lotz said.

The American Lung Association has seen victims of lung cancer diagnosed as early as their late 20's, said Lotz.

"We encourage Auburn to continue promoting a smoke - free campus," Lotz said. "The ideal situation would be to make the entire campus smoke-free."

Lee appeared to be on the same page as Lotz and suggests ways for people to quit the habit. "The number one thing that the students can do to reduce cancer rates is to never start smoking or to quit smoking if they do," Lee said. "The SGA or other student organizations can offer smoking cessation classes or prevention classes."

Share and discuss “Cancer Summit Advocates Frequent Screenings” on social media.