CERT Offers Emergency Aid Lessons

Auburn University Public Safety and Lee County Emergency Management have implemented a new program to help victims in emergency situations.

The Community Emergency Response Team, or CERT, is a group of individuals who have completed training hours in specific areas that allow them to be better prepared for emergencies.

"The emergency training prepares you for the aftermath of maybe a tornado or any kind of community emergency," said Johnny Langley. department director of emergency management for Lee County.

The county offers a 21-hour course that takes place over several weeks and teaches participants about how to react in disaster-type situations.

"The course is in case first responders can't get to you," Langley said. "We try to teach citizens to be self-sufficient for up to 72 hours."

The course covers every element of an emergency from disaster preparedness to medical operations to search and rescue operations.

Langley said the biggest issue they try to stress to the citizens is that they need to have a plan for every possible event.

A similar CERT course is also available for faculty members on the Auburn University campus.

"The objective is to prepare each building," said Susan McCallister, associate director of public safety information.

Faculty members from several buildings such as Haley Center and R.B. Draughon Library have already gone through the training course, and training will begin soon for the Student Center and Lowder.

McCallister said the vet school offers a course for students that specializes in how to care for one's self as well as animals during disasters.

McCallister also said the course for Auburn faculty members is similar to the training course offered by the county.

Both courses prepare participants for disasters such as hurricanes, fires and power outages, but the on-campus course also covers a section specifically on terrorism.

After completing the 21 hours, citizens in the Lee County CERT are put through a disaster scenario exercise where the trainees report what they see to the instructors via radio communication.

The scenario puts them through a power outage, fake fires and other possible emergency situations, Langley said.

Both courses give participants who complete the course a backpack safety kit that includes a first aide kit, a wrench, medical gloves, a hard hat, and other emergency supplies.

However, McCallister said the one provided to faculty members must remain on campus at all times.

"I think the emergency training is a great program," Blair Stansell, a recent Auburn nutrition graduate, said. "It is a good way to make sure everyone is better prepared for anything that could happen."

Lee County is offering CERT courses Sept. 12 through Nov. 12 for any citizen who wants to participate.

Langley said he recommends having a group of 10 to 15 to get the most out of the experience.

The course is free and the directors are also willing to work out a training schedule that best works for the group.

The training offered at the University is funded by grants and donations.

McCallister said Auburn is hoping to provide more funding to expand the training to students.

Share and discuss “CERT Offers Emergency Aid Lessons” on social media.