Jaclyn Dunn/Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

FDA Votes to Consider Removing Acetaminophen Medications

The Advisory Committee for the FDA voted Wednesday to recommend the removal of prescription drugs, such as Vicodin and Percocet, that contain acetaminophen from the market, and to lower the recommended 24-hour dosage on over-the-counter (OTC) pain killers, such as Tylenol and Excedrin, that also contain the drug acetaminophen.The FDA estimated that the overdosing of acetaminophenis responsible for 640, more than half of which are unintentional, cases of acute liver failure each year. Based on that, the FDA advisory panel voted 21-16 to lower the maximum daily dose of OTC acetaminophen, which is currently 4 grams,or equivalent of eight pills, of a drug such as Extra Strength Tylenol.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Students Say Fast Food Ads Too Racy, Offensive

With the launch of a new less-than-subtle ad in Singapore, Burger King has taken its slogan of "Have it Your Way" to a whole new level.This sexually driven ad leaves no room for misinterpretation, unless the viewer is under the age of 12, but since its debut last month it has caused a stir around the globe."At first I think it's kind of funny, but highly perverted; if this were my company, I would say it was a huge mistake," said Patrick Williamson, a junior in marketing.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Envision Opelika Opens Up the Community Foundation of East Alabama, Inc.

Lee County's community based organization, Envision Opelika, announced its latest achievement; the implementation of the Community Foundationof East Alabama, Inc.The community foundation is a non-profit charitable organization that dedicates itself to preserving resources in our community for both present and future generations."The basis of the foundation is to build funds for philanthropic purposes and non-profit organizations based on identified community needs," said Barbara Patton, a board member.

More articles »