Foy Building to Reopen Food Venues

Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor
Ashlea Draa/Photo Editor

Fear not Auburn students, War Eagle Food Court is returning -- have your Tigercards out and ready to go.

Although the food court area of the Foy Student Union building has remained unused for the past year, it is now ready to make a comeback. Auburn University administration decided to take on this project during the spring semester of the 2008-2009 academic year, according to David Robinson, director of business development for auxiliary services.

Auburn's new meal plan policy went into effect during the fall of 2008 which made it mandatory for all incoming freshmen to obtain a meal plan.

Each student is responsible for using $1,000 per semester wherever Tiger Card is accepted. "It was a decision that the administration made to give another venue to students to spend their required dining money," Robinson said.

With the project only being approved a few months ago, they are currently still in the design phase of the project, he said. Actual construction for the project is not scheduled to begin until the end of summer.

It is important to the administration that improvements to Foy are made before the new food venues are put in place.

"We're dressing up the venue itself to bring in a new, bright atmosphere," Robinson said.

Currently, the food court area is being brought up to standards. "We're taking care of what all needs to be done to the building itself," Robinson said.

The food court will include Southern Grill, Salsarita's, Mondo Sub and salad and dessert bars Tiger Dining has named Simply Salad and Just Dessert. Au Bon Pain soup will also be available to purchase, according to Robinson.

Auburn University student, Stacie Davis, a junior in pre-pharmacy, looks forward to seeing Foy look less dark and outdated, and more inviting to students.

"I think that when we were freshmen, we all really enjoyed being able to go eat at Foy," Davis said. "I think this past year Foy has been a wasted space, especially since it's such a great central location on Auburn's campus. It's great that it's going to be utilized."

Her only concern is that prices will be set too high. She believes that on-campus dining is extremely expensive compared to other options off-campus. With the prices set so high, students are deterred from wanting to spend their money on-campus, she said.

During the 2008 fall semester, Auburn University administered an online survey asking what kinds of food were wanted for on-campus dining.

The survey resulted in telling administration that students want more ethnic food options.

This information was used to determine what is going into the new food court, Robinson said.

"I do think variety is a good thing, however I don't eat on-campus that often," said Kelly Day, a junior in liberal arts. "But for freshman it seems like variety is key in maintaining a healthy diet."

She believes that giving Foy a facelift will be appealing to prospective students and parents.

"The new student center will never be Foy," Day said. "It's good that they're taking the time to keep Foy alive seeing as it's such a huge Auburn landmark."

While War Eagle Food Court is getting reinstated, more changes in Auburn's food venues are to be made on-campus.

Chef's Table on the ground level of the Student Center will be moved to where the University planned to place the Auburn University Bookstore's Tiger Den.

The additional space will provide a wider variety of food options.

In keeping with students' wishes for more ethnic food options, an Asian concept venue Yan Can Cook will fill Chef's Table current location, Robinson said.

Share and discuss “Foy Building to Reopen Food Venues” on social media.