Swimmers and University Mourn Quick's Death

The Auburn mens and womens swimming and diving teams celebrate winning the SEC Swimming and Diving Championships. Auburn coach Richard Quick is center.
Auburn SEC Swimming Finals on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2008 in Tuscaloosa, Ala.. 
Todd Van Emst
The Auburn mens and womens swimming and diving teams celebrate winning the SEC Swimming and Diving Championships. Auburn coach Richard Quick is center. Auburn SEC Swimming Finals on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2008 in Tuscaloosa, Ala.. Todd Van Emst

After battling an inoperable brain tumor since December 2008, legendary swim coach Richard Quick died Wednesday, June 10 at the age of 66.

Quick, a six-time United States Olympic Coach, spent six seasons with Auburn, leading the men's team to a National Championship in 2009. Quick coached 13 teams to NCAA titles, seven at Stanford and five at Texas.

"We are tremendously saddened by the passing of Richard Quick, who is one of the finest individuals that I've ever known," Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacobs said. "While he lost a valiant battle against a cruel disease, Richard was an inspiration to countless people who were touched by his steadfast faith and amazing courage in the face of tremendous adversity."

Six-time NCAA coach of the year, including this past year, Quick is a member of the International Swimming Hall of Fame. He helped build the foundation that has earned Auburn swimmers 13 combined National Championships in 15 years.

"Richard will be remembered as one of the greatest coaches in the history of swimming, but more importantly, he will be remembered as a devoted and loving husband, father, grandfather and teacher," Jacobs said.

As the head coach of both the women's and men's programs between 1978 and 1982, Quick lead the teams to a combined five top-10 finishes at the National Championship.

"Richard's passing leaves a tremendous void, not only in the swimming community and the Auburn family, but to those individuals who he touched the most," Co-Head Coach Brett Hawke said. "It would be in Richard's greatest honor to not dwell on his loss, but to celebrate his life and the characteristics he embodied, which were his perseverance, compassion and his humanity."

In the 2007-2008 season, Quick coached Auburn swimmers and divers to five NCAA titles and 19 SEC titles. That same season, the athletes earned 85 All-American honors.

Quick coached at five major universities and served as the head Olympic coach in 1988, 1996 and 2000 and as the assistant coach in 1984, 1992 and 2004.

In Auburn, Quick coached Tigers to five NCAA individual titles and two relay titles, including Rowdy Gaines, Dave McCagg, Rick Morley and Bill Forrester. Gaines, one of the most celebrated swimmers in Auburn history, won three gold medals in the 1984 Olympics, where Quick served as his assistant coach.

Quick graduated from Southern Methodist University in 1965 with a bachelor's degree in Physical Education, and earned a Master's in Physiology of Exercise in 1977.

He is survived by his wife June, children, Michael, Kathy, Tiffany and Benjamin and grandchildren, Blake and Emily.

The memorial service and funeral will be held tomorrow at noon in Austin, Texas and will be followed by a celebration of Quick's life. Quick's family has asked that donations be made to the Richard Quick Memorial Foundation in lieu of flowers.

Share and discuss “Swimmers and University Mourn Quick's Death” on social media.