Alabama Receives Funds for Obesity Problem

Austin Nelson/Associate Photo Editor

Alabama is inching closer to becoming the most obese state, but with five communities in the state each receiving $3,000 to stimulate physical activity and nutrition programs, Mississippi may stay on top.

The Chronic Disease Directors Association chose Alabama, as well as seven other states, to receive funds through the Balancing InTake and Expenditure grant.

The State Obesity Task Force then divided the money among the five selected communities including Anniston, Birmingham, Greensboro, Millbrook and Montgomery.

Miriam Gaines, nutrition and physical activity division director for the Alabama Department of Public Health, said Alabama applied and won the grant in early 2009 because of its intention of building the infrastructure of rural communities.

It makes sense why Alabama is so far behind other physically fit states, like Colorado, she said.

"It's because (Colorado) has places where people want to go be active, where they have that infrastructure of walking and that expectation that it's going to be safe and pleasant."

The grant money was open for everyone, but small organizations and the School of Architecture at Auburn University ended up applying and receiving the majority.

"Auburn students saw this as an opportunity, and they ran with it," Gaines said.

It is the young people who are going to make a difference, she said.

She is excited to see what impact the money has on the communities.

Choona Lang, coordinator for the health and wellness ministry at Mount Gillard Missionary Church in Montgomery, said she is excited to use the money to expand an existing plan that began five years ago.

In October there will be an additional health care fair with a community walk and lectures focusing on diabetes, healthy food choices, stress and smoking.

"We're trying to get the message out there about making wise, healthy life choices," Lang said. "We want to get people back focused on taking care of themselves. It's about reaching the rest of Alabama to promote health and wellness."

Alabamians need to have a change of mind, Gaines said, if this obesity problem is going to be resolved.

She gave the example of riding a bike versus riding in a car. A bike might not always be the most convenient and comfortable mode of transportation, but it's healthy and it makes you feel good, she said.

Caroline Kiteley, a junior majoring in biomedical sciences, said she has seen the effects of obesity at The Orthopedic Clinic in Auburn where she volunteers.

"People come to therapy for their weight problems because it puts so much stress on their ankles and knees," she said.

People lack a consistent level of physical activity, which adds to the problem, she said.

This problem of portion control and unhealthy food choices should be addressed soon if the state is going to overcome obesity, Gaines said.

"Think about the types of food we eat here, not only the way we cook, but what we eat," she said. "We eat in the South for many reasons other than hunger, and we are taught in the South to eat when we're not hungry. I would like to turn it into a healthier culture."

In Mississippi, the government is taking action to reduce the rate of obesity.

In subdivisions, contractors are making sure there are plenty of sidewalks and green space where children can play, Gaines said.

Alabama should focus on what works in other states and adapt it to fit here, Gaines said.

Share and discuss “Alabama Receives Funds for Obesity Problem” on social media.