Ava Ohlgren and Tyler McGill Bring Honors to Auburn Swimming

Tyler McGill / contributed photo
Tyler McGill / contributed photo

Junior Ava Ohlgren, 13-time SEC champion, received her fifth gold medal of the 2009 World University Games Saturday in Belgrade, Serbia.

Olhren, from Northville, Mich., swam the freestyle leg for the United States 400 medley team during the preliminaries.

The team went on to win the gold medal in the Saturday night finals.

Ohlgren earned her three other gold medals topping the field in the women's 200m IM finals, the 200m freestyle and swimming leadoff for the victorious United States 800m freestyle relay team.

Ohlgren set the record for Auburn winning five gold medals in the games, which is more than any student-athlete in the history of the Auburn swimming and diving program.

Ohlgren also placed seventh in Saturday's 200m butterfly finals, touching in at 2:14.18.

Ohlgren earned her position on the USA National Team following a 400 Individual Medley victory at the 2008 USA Swimming U.S. Open, held in July in Minneapolis, Minn.

In addition to Ohlgren, the team's rising senior Tyler McGill placed second to world-record holder Michael Phelps in Thursday's 100m fly finals of the 2009 ConocoPhillips National Championships in Indianapolis.

McGill's runner-up finish qualified him for a spot on Team USA heading into the World Championships in August.

Auburn is sending several swimmers to represent the school and their individual countries in the World Championships. Swimmers include Caitlin Geary, Adam Klein and Tyler McGill from the United States; Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace and Alana Dillette from the Bahamas; Pascal Wollmack from Canada; Jakob Ankjaer from Denmark; and Genaro Prono from Paraguay.

Several coaches will also represent the school in the games as well.

Assistant Coaches Aaron Ciarla from the Bahamas and Richard Long from Paraguay and Head Coach Brett Hawke from Brazil will travel with the team to the games.

Share and discuss “Ava Ohlgren and Tyler McGill Bring Honors to Auburn Swimming” on social media.