John C.H. "Jack" Miller Jr., Board of Trustees Member, Died Saturday

John C.H. "Jack" Miller Jr, an Auburn University trustee since 2000, died Saturday at his home in Mobile. Miller, who had suffered from cancer since 2004, was the founder and chairman of the Mobile-based law firm Miller, Hamilton, Snider and Odom, which merged with Jones Walker in 2008.

"Jack brought energy, innovation and an insightful focus to academic quality and scholarship," said Auburn President Jay Gogue in the press release. "He will be missed. The thoughts and prayers of the Auburn family go out to his family and many friends."

Miller was influential in many Auburn academic programs and led the charge in efforts to improve students' writing and reasoning skills. The Auburn Board of Trustees named the University's newly established writing center in his honor in June.

"His tenacity in his years with academic affairs was a big deal," said Deedie Dowdle, executive director of the Office of Communication and Marketing. "He really turned the whole idea of academic success here at Auburn around."

A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m., Tuesday at Government St. Presbyterian Church in Mobile.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to Auburn University in care of the John C.H. Miller Jr. Writing Center or the National Maritime Museum of the Gulf of Mexico.

Share and discuss “John C.H. "Jack" Miller Jr., Board of Trustees Member, Died Saturday” on social media.