Johnny Green resigns as dean of students

Johnny Green announced his resignation from the position of dean of students through an Auburn University e-mail Monday.

Although his resignation was effective Tuesday, Green does not plan to leave the University altogether.

"I'm looking at different opportunities that have been identified and am very interested in," Green said. "We are looking at them now to make sure they are a good match for my talents and my skills."

Ainsley Carry, VP of Student Affairs, said the University is in the process of evaluating the position and determining when and if a search for a new dean of students will ensue.

"Dr. Carry is very excited about what he's doing and he has a lot to offer," Green said. "I think he has a plan to bring somebody in, but I think he just wants to get his feet on solid ground."

Carry's plan includes careful conversations with staff and students.

"We want to examine the position and examine the community and then find out what we need to do to fill it, whether we need a dean of students or an assistant vice president," Carry said.

Carry said he should know by the end of the week what needs to be done.

"We would like to involve the students and we'll be in contact with the staff this week," Carry said. "It's an evaluation problem right now."

Green's abrupt resignation was a surprise to many students.

"On the sudden resignation, I was very shocked and saddened because I looked forward to working with him to improve student body relations," said Nick Davis, sophomore in pre-pharmacy and member of Sigma Pi. "I just hope he will be around because he is a great person to have on campus and at our University."

Green has been dean of students since July 2006.

He received his doctorate at the University while playing football for the Tigers.

Before becoming the third Dean of Students at Auburn, he worked in the political science department and then in the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs.

During his career at Auburn, Green has felt enormous support.

"I just absolutely have been so overwhelmed by the outpour of support for the work we do and for what we stand for," Green said. "The students are the most awesome group of young people I've been around. They're really something."

Many students said the same about their former dean of students.

"As a person, Dean Green was a very personable and nice man," Davis said. "He and I even enjoyed some time riding my long board on the concourse."

Green constantly encouraged students to call him on his cell phone if they needed anything or had any questions.

"He actually cared about the student body and worked for a great relationship with every single one of the students," Davis said.

Share and discuss “Johnny Green resigns as dean of students” on social media.