Large Drink, Small Portion

"Would you like to value size that?"

I often get asked this question at fast food restaurants, and most often my answer is "Sure, why not?"

But in recent weeks I've experienced a phenomenon that makes me question spending the extra 49 cents for a large drink and side. For some fast food workers a large drink means nothing.

For example, when I'm trapped in the Student Center Monday through Wednesday with limited food options this summer I usually walk up to Chick-fil-A and get a number two and large Coke or Sweet Tea.

I get the large drink because I'm planning on being in the office for an extended amount of time and would like to have a drink that quenches my thirst all day long.

However, when the nice ladies don't fill my drink to the very top, I get angry. In fact I've taken to noticing how lacking my drink is each time I order. Most often my drink is a half inch to one and a half inches from being completely full.

The Chick-fil-A Web site states a large drink contains 21 ounces, and say the drink is lacking an inch, I can conservatively say I'm losing an ounce each time. I pay 49 cents to upsize my combo from a 12 ounce drink, so after figuring it up I can say I'm losing a little more than a nickle each visit.

I usually eat there three times a week, so in 7 weeks I'm losing a buck. Doesn't sound like much, but if you could see into my bank account you would definitely understand my plight.

So, fast food workers of Auburn please fill the drink to the top, and watch that ice. We know that's a trick to serve less drink, and aren't pleased.

Share and discuss “Large Drink, Small Portion” on social media.