AU plays to draw vs. No. 1 UNC

Auburn University women's soccer team tied in overtime to last year's national champions, University of North Carolina, after a double-overtime loss to Duke University in the Duke Nike Cup Tournament at Durham, N.C.

The first game of the tournament began Friday against Duke University when Auburn lost 2-1.

"We played really well," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "The biggest difference is that we couldn't finish our chances. We got in behind their defense more than they got in behind ours, and we had those good looks from behind the defense, and we just couldn't finish."

At two minutes into overtime Katy Frierson struggled to put the game away as her long-range shot into Duke's goal was easily blocked. With 33 seconds remaining in the first overtime period, Rebecca Howell missed the goal by trying to shoot the ball wide.

"After the loss at Duke we were upset," said Amy Howard, freshman goalkeeper. "We knew we could of done a little better."

This was the third overtime match of the season for Auburn, leaving Duke with a record of 4-3-1.

"They got one in the overtime with a little over two minutes to go, and that's what really made the difference; it was unfortunate," Hoppa said. "We're better, and we knew we could of won, and it got away."

After the loss against Duke, Auburn had Saturday to recuperate before the game against UNC. With pool workouts and training sessions, Hoppa said it was a challenge to keep stamina up.

"It was really tough because we were playing so well," Hoppa said. "It was just a heartbreaker."

Auburn faced game two of the tournament series against UNC Sunday, only the second time in school history that Auburn has faced a No.1 ranked team.

"We had to get focused," Howard said. "We had been playing good teams, but this was our test of top teams in the country."

Howard made a career-high 12 saves in the game against UNC after 40 shots were made to Auburn's goal. Howard made a game-saving dive in the 96th minute to save the game to stay at a draw.

"UNC game is different and is very good on the ball," said Chelsea Yauch, senior midfielder and captain. "There are not a lot of weak players. We were definitely the underdogs, but it was a cool experience to be the underdogs."

In the beginning of overtime, Auburn's backline made UNC play with long-range shots.

During the second half of overtime UNC took 25 shots against Auburn causing Auburn's defense to tighten up.

"We definitely felt prepared and were excited for the opportunity to play Duke and UNC, who are two of the best soccer programs in soccer," Hoppa said. "We were a little bit nervous, but we turned those nerves into some quality play."

The overtime match was the first for UNC this season and had not ended a scoreless game since Sept. 4, 2008, against Notre Dame.

This was Auburn's second tie against a top five team since 2008 leaving a record of (3-2-3) going into next week's SEC schedule against Mississippi State.

"We always want to win no matter what, but in the end it was a good result," Yauch said. "This will help us in knowing that we can play the No. 1 team in the country and show the SEC what we are made of."

Share and discuss “AU plays to draw vs. No. 1 UNC” on social media.