Law School Admissions Counselor Hosts Informational Seminar

Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor
Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor

Rachel Wishum, admissions director of Jones School of Law at Faulkner University in Montgomery, spoke to Auburn students interested in law school Thursday, Sept. 3.

She spoke about important areas for all potential law students- LSAT scores and GPA.

"The LSAT tells us how you think and process what you read," Wishum said. "Your GPA tells us what your work ethic is like."

Though the LSAT measures students' performance at one point in time, GPA spans a longer period.

"We look at trends," Wishum said. "If your GPA started out badly, but has increased over time, it tells us you got serious and decided to work hard."

Sara Duffy, a second-year student, or 2L, at Jones School of Law, graduated from Auburn in May 2008 in public relations.

"Law school is different than undergrad in that you're learning how to be a good lawyer, not just memorizing a bunch of stuff for a test," Duffy said.

Potential law students may wonder when is the best time to take the LSAT.

Wishum and Duffy recommend the June before a student's senior undergraduate year.

"It's not like the ACT where you take it over and over," Wishum said. "This test is extremely difficult. You don't want to take it more than once if you don't have to."

Wishum highlighted the LSAC, Law School Admission Council, Web site.

"You register with LSAC and send in the materials required for application," Wishum said. "Every law school in country has their application on the site so you don't have to worry about getting them separately. It's a comprehensive process."

Duffy spoke of her experience applying to law school.

"I didn't take my LSAT until September," Duffy said. "It was a headache. Don't do it that late."

The former Auburn student brought up further difficulties brought on by late application.

"I didn't get any scholarship money for my first year at Jones," Duffy said. "Most schools give out money in February, and I missed that deadline."

Students may worry about the financial burden of professional school.

"Law school is expensive," Wishum said. "We assume everyone wants a scholarship, therefore, we consider all students for scholarships."

Katie Thompkins, a senior in political science, asked about the proper way to write reference letters.

"It's nice to give people a lot of time," Duffy said. "You don't want to be waiting on a reference letter."

Wishum told students to consider a few important points while looking for a law school that fits them well. Students should seek a school that offers classes interesting to them. Bar pass rates of potential schools are also important.

"Go visit the schools you're applying to," Wishum said. "How does it feel? You're spending three years and lots of money there. You want to be happy."

Jones School of Law is having an open house in the spring for interested prospective students.

Share and discuss “Law School Admissions Counselor Hosts Informational Seminar” on social media.