Strutting Duck, Bodega closing by month's end

Two local bars will be closing the doors on their current locations at the end of this month.

Bodega and the Strutting Duck are closing because the landlords of both buildings will not renew the leases.

"I don't want to go into a lot of detail, and I'm not looking to bash anybody," said Neal Kelly, owner of the Strutting Duck. "It was kind of frustrating, but we just weren't able to work anything out with our landlord."

Kelly has owned the Duck for five years, but the bar has been open for 26 years. The Strutting Duck's last official night will be Sept. 30, but Kelly will open the doors again Oct. 2 to host the band Blueground Undergrass.

Kelly said the building wasn't optimal for what he wanted to do with the bar, and the building had to be improved to accommodate bands and specials.

"I'd like a building that's better suited to what we were trying to do here," Kelly said. "This one was something we struggled with because it's not very big."

On nights when the bar featured big bands or food specials, Kelly said it could become uncomfortable for patrons because of the size. However, Kelly said he does still have sentimental attachment to the building.

"I'm determined to make something good out of this situation that's obviously not an optimal situation for me at this point," Kelly said.

Bodega will be closing Sept. 29 and will open at noon. The message on its voicemail says the bar will have live music on its deck and specials in order to sell out its inventory.

At the time of publication deadline, The Plainsman was unable to reach Bodega for a comment.

Kelly said he's actively pursuing finding another location for the Strutting Duck.

"I've heard rumors that we're going in down there (to open in Bodega's old location) and that's not true at all," Kelly said. "I wouldn't presume to turn my nose up at anything, but it's probably not going to happen."

Charles Duggan, Auburn's city manager, said he had not heard about the Strutting Duck's closing, but had heard Bodega would close. Duggan said the owner, Oak Tree Investments LLC., will be renovating the building and will open another business in Bodega's place.

"I'd like the message to go out that we've gotten a lot of support and all of that is very appreciated," Kelly said. "This is definitely not an easy time for us and obviously that helps. I do want to thank all the people who have been coming out and supporting us."

Share and discuss “Strutting Duck, Bodega closing by month's end” on social media.