Natalie Wade / MANAGING EDITOR

The Auburn Plainsman
News

The Plainsman, 'It was fun and good'

The Plainsman has become such a huge part of my life during the past eight consecutive semesters, and it's going to be hard to steer myself away from the office between classes or during a free moment.I've spent the better part of my Monday through Wednesdays deciphering AP Style and deciding if the hairline is more or less than a pica away from the picture, and I've loved every long night.I am choosing to leave The Plainsman while I am ahead.

Ashlea Draa / ASSISTANT PHOTO  EDITOR
News

Auburn Youth 'Pass, Punt and Read'

The "Pass, Punt and Read" program at the Auburn Public Library is now under way. Registration ended yesterday and students ages 3 to 11 will be reading their way through the fall.There are four reading programs held annually: spring, summer, fall and winter."Parents love this because they want their children to read and anything that's an incentive is a good thing," said Stephanie Taunton, a library assistant for youth services.Eve Engle Kneeland, head of youth services, said the summer reading program is by far their largest each year, with more than 400 students reading more than 2,000 books.However, she said the summer program also includes high school students.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Strutting Duck, Bodega closing by month's end

Two local bars will be closing the doors on their current locations at the end of this month.Bodega and the Strutting Duck are closing because the landlords of both buildings will not renew the leases."I don't want to go into a lot of detail, and I'm not looking to bash anybody," said Neal Kelly, owner of the Strutting Duck. "It was kind of frustrating, but we just weren't able to work anything out with our landlord."

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

University, City Webcams Showcase Auburn

Student's need not worry about missing the big Toomer's Corner celebration if they don't feel up to the trek or crowd, because they can catch it online.Auburn University has 11 webcams in place across campus and one is specifically aimed at the celebration corner of town."A lot of universities have one or two webcams and we offer many more, and some of the ones on our webcam page are run by other groups," said Mike Clardy, director of University communications.Clardy said the webcam facing Samford Lawn has been in place for more than 10 years, and the Web site hosting the 11 webcams was launched more than two years ago."We went around campus and looked at the different vantage points and tried to come up with some places that would really show off campus," Clardy said.One reason for the site is to attract perspective students."There are lots of reasons to have webcams, and there are lots of different audiences for webcams," Clardy said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Columns

Judge News, Not Opinions

A recent study released by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press indicates 63 percent of Americans believe news stories are inaccurate.This percentage in 1985 was 29 percent lower.The same study showed the number of people who believe articles often favor one side of an issue is up 8 percent.Obviously something has changed.The Associated Press article published by the Mobile Press-Register explored the idea of a suffering business, striving for readership and struggling to keep up with new media.In a way, that viewpoint is favorable.

More articles »