Where Do All The Bikes Go?

Morgan Thacker/  Associate Photo Editor
Morgan Thacker/ Associate Photo Editor

The benefits to biking on campus are numerous: it is good for the environment, it is cost efficient and it is great for the body.

But, many students don't realize their bikes can be confiscated if they don't have the correct parking permits.

All bikes, just like motorcycles and other vehicles on campus, need to have a permit or decal, which are free of charge.

Students must know the make, color and serial number of the bicycle to obtain a parking permit. If they do not, their bike could be removed from the rack by Auburn parking services.

"Bikes can be confiscated if they do not have the correct permit," said David Vedder, manager of parking services. "We go around several times a year and do just that."

Bikes can be confiscated from any of the bike racks on campus, including the ones outside of the residence halls.

Bikes are kept in the parking services office for 90 days.

After the 90-day time period they become University property and are sold at auction.

For students looking to buy or maintain their bikes, there is a bike shop in the Student Center and several bike pumps around campus for the students' convenience.

The campus bike committee has proposed several plans to help make biking on campus easier for students.

"We are currently creating a growing network of bike routes," said Emma Muleaney, communications outreach coordinator in the Office of Sustainability. "Riding a bicycle is quicker, students don't have to worry about parking, buying gas or their exercise for the day."

According to the Auburn Sustainability Web site, the new design considerations include a complete bike loop around the core of campus, closer parking, space for six to 10 bikes at the entrance of every building and several large covered storage areas.

"I think the improvements for the bike routes is great," said Courtney Starr, a junior in graphic design.

"I know a friend of mine was riding her bike and it wasn't construction area was not clearly marked, and she hit a place in the asphalt with a 3-inch gap," Starr said. "As far as bike racks go, the busy building racks on campus are usually always full."

To download an image of Auburn University's bike paths, visit the Sustainability Web site.

Parking permits can be picked up in the parking services office.

"I can get everywhere so much faster on my bike," Starr said. "Auburn does a good job with the way they handle biking students."

Share and discuss “Where Do All The Bikes Go?” on social media.