Women's Soccer to Battle No. 25 Missouri

JD Schein/ Photo Staff
JD Schein/ Photo Staff

The No. 21 Auburn women's soccer team (2-0-2, 0-0-0) continues its home stand tomorrow against No. 25 University of Missouri (3-2-0, 0-0-0) at the Auburn Soccer Complex.

Auburn is coming off a 3-1 win over Kennesaw State University.

The team did not play last Sunday, so it has the whole week to prepare.

"We have some time off, and we can get well and get ready for the two-game weekend," said Head Coach Karen Hoppa.

Freshman goalkeeper Amy Howard has played in all four of Auburn's games this year and has only let in two goals.

Hoppa said Missouri plays a different style of soccer than the team is used to seeing.

"They're very athletic and play very direct, they're going to be really tough to play," Hoppa said.

Sophomore midfielder Katy Frierson reiterated what Hoppa said about Mizzou.

"They play a very direct style of play, a lot of kick ball," Frierson said.

Auburn traveled to Columbia, Mo. and faced Mizzou last season.

Auburn lost the game 1-0 on a goal by then sophomore Kari Adam.

"We did play them last year so we can look at that tape and make some adjustments from what we did last year," Hoppa said.

Auburn's offense has been getting better at producing goals as the young season has progressed.

The team thinks it can do better though.

"We need to work a lot on the chemistry between the forwards and midfield," Frierson said.

Senior midfielder Jenni Prescott said the offensive production needs to be better.

"We're working hard to get there ,and it's only going to get better," Prescott said.

Frierson said scoring goals has helped the offense get better.

"Getting goals in those (previous) games gives us confidence going forward," Frierson said.

Tomorrow is the annual "Cram the Complex" game.

It is also an All Auburn All Orange game, and students can receive four Auburn Ignited points when they get their card scanned.

The objective of the "Cram the Complex" game is to break the attendance record for the Soccer Complex.

The first 250 fans will receive a free T-shirt compliments of University Village.

Share and discuss “Women's Soccer to Battle No. 25 Missouri” on social media.