Auburn Gets a Makeover and Replaces Street Signs

Photo Illustration by Rod Guajardo / PHOTO EDITOR

New street signs are popping up all around Auburn.

Public Works Department, which is responsible for providing engineering and construction services for the city of Auburn, is in the process of removing the white concrete street markers and replacing them with new, standard street name signs.

The sign replacement project will proceed outward from downtown Auburn until all of the old concrete street markers have been replaced, according to the City of Auburn Web site.

City crews will begin installing the new reflective signs on streets in the downtown area.

"The signs are being changed to improve day and night visibility and legibility," said Brandy Ezelle, City of Auburn traffic engineer.

The installation of the new street signs is a project of the traffic engineering division of Auburn's Public Works Department.

The Traffic Engineering Division investigates complaints regarding traffic problems and monitors traffic volume information in order to improve safety and efficiency.

It also maintains Auburn's traffic signals, signs and pavement markings and is responsible for the design and implementation of bike paths.

All of the concrete street markers at city intersections will be replaced with more visible standard street signs.

"The standard sign will be dark blue with a white border and white letters," Ezelle said.

There will also be black signs in historic parts of Auburn with the former name of the street on the sign in smaller print.

Two hundred new signs will be installed throughout the city and will cost approximately $300 each.

"Prior to the cement markers, the street names were not even marked," Ezelle said. "The cement markers were originally selected as a decorative and vandal resistant option at a reasonable cost."

The length of construction time is unknown because the replacement schedule for the signs will be determined by available funding.

"I'm glad to hear the city is getting new street signs," said Adam Bright, a senior in engineering. "The white concrete signs were hard to see."

The replacement of the concrete street markers that sit low on the ground may not be a big deal to some people, but they have caused some problems for several residents.

"I never understood why the signs were on the ground," Bright said "You couldn't see the street name until you were right up by the sign. I have missed the road I was looking for several times because of that. I just had to turn around and go back."

Many people think the replacement of the concrete street markers will be a good change.

"The old signs were sometimes difficult to locate so I think it is a positive change for the city and the people that live here," said Clarke Kerby, a senior in finance.

Share and discuss “Auburn Gets a Makeover and Replaces Street Signs” on social media.