Auburn Police Officers Offer Halloween Safety Tips

With Halloween right around the corner and costumes flying off the shelves, Auburn students and officials are being proactive when it comes to safety this Halloween home football weekend.

"We will have a full complement of officers out this weekend," said Capt. Tom Stofer of Auburn University Police Division. "The football game is a day game so that really will not impact the night activities."

There were no major problems last Halloween, Stofer said.

He does not think it will be unsafe this year even with Halloween being on a gameday.

"I don't think it will be any more dangerous," said Chris Mills, junior in biomedical sciences. "It's just an excuse for people to wear costumes."

The Allied Barton Security Service, who patrols The Quad, The Village, Residence Overflow, The Hill and Student Center wearing orange shirts, will be increasing their security to make sure everything is covered, said Brandon Tew, security officer.

"If you are going to wear a costume, make sure it has some type of reflector on it," Tew said. "But the main thing is to always walk double, with a partner."

Thursday, Oct. 29 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., is designated as the official trick- or-treat night for the city of Auburn.

"If you run into some trouble hit the red button and be aware of your surroundings," said Aaron Pierce, junior in industrial design. "Don't be oblivious to your surroundings because you might run into people that might get a little carried away."

College students should know common things like not going out alone, said Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones.

"For the youngsters, the parents should go with them or at least have them under observation," Jones said. "It's all about being aware of your surroundings, safety and numbers."

A few other Halloween safety tips from Stofer and Jones: If going out, be aware of surroundings, carry flashlights, make sure costumes are fireproof and have good visibility and notify the police if anyone sees anything suspicious.

"There will be plenty black and white cars driving around Auburn this weekend, so don't hesitate to contact us to let us know where we can help," Stofer said.

It may be hard to see pedestrians so when trick or treating at night, be safe crossing the streets.

Only go to well-lit neighborhoods and houses that are recognizing Halloween and are familiar.

If collecting candy, make sure it is checked thoroughly before consuming it.

"We don't look at Halloween as a dangerous weekend, or any other weekend in Auburn," Stofer said. "We try to make sure Halloween and every weekend is safe here at Auburn."

Share and discuss “Auburn Police Officers Offer Halloween Safety Tips” on social media.