Theadoris Morris/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Failure Can be Beneficial in the Long Run

The word failure has a negative connotation, but failure is not as derogatory as it may seem, and experts say it can be viewed as a healthy life experience."If you've never failed then you've never tried," said Douglas Hankes, licensed psychologist and director at Student Counseling Services.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Voices Against Hunger

As the weekend concluded, Auburn University's Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs ended Sunday night promoting hunger awareness with the Voices Against Hunger Gospel Fest Fundraiser.The purpose of the fundraiser was to unite communities across Alabama in a spirit of giving as part of a local food drive to replenish food pantries in Lee and Macon counties.The fundraiser was from 5 p.m.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Opelika Library Hosts Book Signing

Photographs, business cards, a few examples of her work and a bouquet of pink roses decorated the table as Kanisha Wilson signed autographs and posed for pictures at her first book signing.An Opelika native, 28-year-old poet Kanisha Wilson has had her first book of compiled poetry published.Wilson said she compiled her poems into her book, "Portraits of the Heart," to share her work with others.The book signing was Saturday from 2 p.m.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Students showcase talent at open mic night

Students displayed their vocal and instrumental talents as they performed at UPC's second Open Mic night of the semester.The event was held in the Student Center November 9 at 7 p.m., with the sound system and speakers setup along with about 40 people in attendance."I was kind of nervous because I'm not used to singing in front of this kind of crowd," said Sierra Hicks, freshman in sociology, who sung "Save Room" by John Legend. "But my friends were there to support me, and I really like John Legend."

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Opelika Gets Ready for Christmas

Welcoming the Christmas season early, Opelika Main Street and Downtown Merchants held its annual Christmas Open House, Sunday.The event has been celebrated for about 10 years as a way to bring people downtown and support the small business, said Velinda Wheels, director of the event.The open house was from 1 p.m.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Men's Tennis Sweeps South Carolina Invitational

Auburn University Men's Tennis team swept away its competition and returned to The Plains with numerous victories after playing in the South Carolina Invitational last weekend.The tournament was a three-day event with eight singles flights, a tournament where players play against each other in a range of matches and four doubles flights."Overall, I thought we played well in certain spots, I'm not disappointed," said Eric Shore, head coach of the men's tennis team.

More articles »